• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:00:38 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Does your cider juice stink? If so what yeast, and did you use nutrient?

Started by admin, November 12, 2013, 05:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 14, 2013, 08:57:58 AM
I think that starts to happen when the yeast runs low on something, possibly nitrogen.

I'm happy enough at this stage that it's slowing, I don't want ammonia from the brew, it's pitched at 5tsp so I'll leave it as is.

Sent from my HTC One

Greg2013

One of mine is bubbling like crazy and smells of rotten eggs, I used  Sn 9 in this.The other one is not showing any activity after a couple of days, I used ec 1118 in this. Thinking of re pitching a different yeast like maybe youngs dsuper wine yeast just to get it  going ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

mr hoppy

I pitched some Notty slurry into the 15l in the original container - think I got it completely wrong - currently sitting in freezing garage. I checked last night and its not definitely not fermenting. Will aerate, repitch with fresh Notty and yeast nutrient and bring inside tomorrow. Bit of a bollix but I've been out of town / crazy busy since it arrive so here's hoping.

The two I didn't pitch any yeast into are bubbling away (I used some campdens and nutrient - belatedly - for both) - one stinky, one ok  ;).

Did I hear there's no cure for stinky cider?

mr hoppy

By the way, anyone ever repitched natural yeast from a cider into a beer?

Eoin

Quote from: mr happy on November 14, 2013, 11:15:22 PM

It'd make a quare lambic.

Sent from my HTC One

Greg2013

Quote from: Greg2013 on November 14, 2013, 09:26:27 AM
One of mine is bubbling like crazy and smells of rotten eggs, I used  Sn 9 in this.The other one is not showing any activity after a couple of days, I used ec 1118 in this. Thinking of re pitching a different yeast like maybe youngs dsuper wine yeast just to get it  going ?

Sorry i just checked back and this is wrong. I used EC-1118 in the 25 litre batch that is fizzing away and farting rotten eggs, i used the Vintners Harvest SN-9 in the 20 litre batch that does not seem to be doing anything, no airlock activity and looks dead when i popped the lid.

Should i pitch another packet of the SN-9 into this one ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 15, 2013, 11:07:17 AM
I would be thinking if you're going to re pitch, that maybe you should dose it with camden first. Not sure though.

Not sure why i would need to do that but mystery has been solved, Checked the gravity and its down to 1020 from 1046 and some slow fizzing going on, must have had a leak somewhere i reckon.

Eoin

Gravities on both mine are around 1.005 or so. Taste is still tart, showing promise as it's not knock you down sour like a Lidl cider would be at this stage.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Quote from: Il Tubo on November 15, 2013, 02:02:50 PM
Quote from: Eoin on November 15, 2013, 01:53:30 PM
Gravities on both mine are around 1.005 or so. Taste is still tart, showing promise as it's not knock you down sour like a Lidl cider would be at this stage.

How does it smell?

Like fermenting stuff, a bit farty but more after dinner than after a feed of pints type farts. ;-)

Sent from my HTC One

Dunkel

How does it smell?
[/quote]

Like fermenting stuff, a bit farty but more after dinner than after a feed of pints type farts. ;-)
[/quote]

'Tis sheer poetry!

Eoin

Quote from: Dunkel on November 15, 2013, 02:15:46 PM

How does it smell?

[/quote]

'Tis sheer poetry!
[/quote]

Brought a tear to my eye, or was that the farts??

Sent from my HTC One

mr hoppy

Quote from: Eoin on November 14, 2013, 11:57:29 PM
Quote from: mr happy on November 14, 2013, 11:15:22 PM

It'd make a quare lambic.

You never know. Supposedly Marstons ale yeast originally came from an apple skin.