• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 16, 2024, 02:44:44 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

whirlfloc problem with Excess Trub Help please

Started by brenmurph, November 13, 2013, 07:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Quote from: LordEoin on April 08, 2014, 02:03:14 PM
buying the 2kg powder would probably be the way forward alright, but you'd need 20 people to go in on it for it to make sense (100g@ £1.89), then you're stuck with repackaging and distribution, and after all that's done it's hardly worth the effort  to save a fiver over a couple of years.

good point, for once a month brewers not a lot to benefit, however for 3 times a week brewers like me it makes a difference. It could be easily passed around via our meet ups and so on. t does not need packaging as such, a small plastic ziplock or old medicine tub. the measure can easily be shown on a photo e.g a small amount on the tip of a tspoon for those who dont have micro scales.
Same with Starsan because its generally used in small quantities people say its not worth bulk buying. However its another product thats mega expensive compared to the real cost of say the bulk item. Im quite liberal with sanitising and would prob use a tenner a month on starsan if I were buying it but i dont I use the new product I had formulated in cork and H2O2 that I also got in bulk so my costs are almost zero per month for sanitising as it is for my bulk whirlfloc powder at 2 or 3 cent per brew

LordEoin

medicine tubs are a good idea, airtight and solid.
I'm the same with sanitizer, I like to give everything a good soaking, but bleach/vinegar sorts that cost right out ;)