• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:04:48 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Limited Edition Beers

Started by sub82, December 16, 2013, 04:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

Interesting article about expensive limited-edition beers.

Limited-edition beer: fool's gold?

ColmOM

Very interesting article and something which needs to be debated more in my opinion. On a similar note, it's hard not to be fully accept some of the jumps in prices for craft beers in general in off-licences. Bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a regular haunt of mine which shall remain nameless have gone from €2.59 in July to €3.19 in December. Hard not to feel like you're being screwed over like  :-[

Greg2013

Quote from: iTube on December 17, 2013, 02:49:13 PM
Smithwick's Pale Ale from €2.00 to €3.09 in Tesco. Now that's taking the p1ss.

I have noticed this price gouging recently as well in local shops like Dunnes and even the smaller local ones. I am not completely surprised and i hate to say i expected this given the ever expanding home brew and craft beer scene in Ireland and the fact that shops think that craft beer is anything outside of the normal Guinness or Heineken. For instance Theakston Old Peculier which is my favourite right now is 3.20 in Dunnes for a 500ml bottle, its a great beer IMHO but not a craft and certainly NOT 3.20 worth.

I don't believe this is coming from the breweries end rather the chain stores and smaller retailers themselves are price gouging and people are letting them away with it.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Taf

Several Thornbridge beers around or above the €5 mark from the off license. Love them, but finding it harder and harder to justify that price.

imark

Jaipur is over €5 in the off-licence and its not even special edition. Stupid money!

AJ_Rowley

Its definitely the stores themselves that put the massive price on the beers. I work in an offie and I got price list from one of our suppliers and there was a but of mark up from what they pay per bottle to what is charged to customers.

Ciderhead

That's how retail works unfortunately and although it sticks in my craw folks need to shop clever.

If you really want to see where you are getting shafted and mark up, keep the receipt from the garage where you bought basics like 2ltrs of milk or a loaf of bread, then compare that to the next time you are in the supermarket.

brenmurph

"3.20 in Dunnes for a 500ml bottle, its a great beer IMHO but not a craft and certainly NOT 3.20 worth"

Above is 1 pound sterling in ASDA last time we wer there,  as was most of the Shepard neamey type commercials.

mr hoppy

Quote from: Taf on December 17, 2013, 06:17:49 PM
Several Thornbridge beers around or above the €5 mark from the off license. Love them, but finding it harder and harder to justify that price.

Thornbridge beers all cost the same as Harviestoun beers give or take 20 or 30 pence in Waitrose (not a particularly cheap shop) on a trip to London in September. There's over 2 euros of a difference in price here.

The one that really sticks in my craw is Rochefort. Rochefort 10 cost under 4 euros until 6 - 12 months ago, and then shot up to 5 euros plus. Lovely beer, but I've pretty much stopped drinking it.

mr hoppy

Just read the article. Agree with a lot of it. Mind, can't blame Meantime for trying considering what M&S sell some of their (as in Meantime's) beers for.

delzep

Quote from: mr happy on December 17, 2013, 09:36:54 PM
Quote from: Taf on December 17, 2013, 06:17:49 PM

Thornbridge beers all cost the same as Harviestoun beers give or take 20 or 30 pence in Waitrose (not a particularly cheap shop) on a trip to London in September. There's over 2 euros of a difference in price here.

The one that really sticks in my craw is Rochefort. Rochefort 10 cost under 4 euros until 6 - 12 months ago, and then shot up to 5 euros plus. Lovely beer, but I've pretty much stopped drinking it.

I haven't seen Rochefort 10 in Dublin for under 4 quid in years

Dara

Would tend to agree with this and have to say that I have given in to such marketing. Find it hard to justify the price of some beers out there. I tend to splash out as a once off from time to time. If only there was a way to make your own limited edition beer infused with oak and packed with exotic hop flavour...hmmm
Dara
drinking - Brown porters (plain/oak aged/vanilla)
conditioning - American Amber (Jamil's evil twin)
Fermenting - air

delzep

Do you regret it? I wouldn't as a one off

imark

In a boozer that's what they charge in these here parts. You've developed an expensive habit!  :-P

Maybe Wetherspoon will mix things up and sell for 3 euro a pint.  ;-)