• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:00:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Style Guide Cards

Started by Will_D, January 05, 2014, 06:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

I have been trying to "distill" down the BJCP style guide into some flash cards the size of regular playing cards.

See the attatched. xls.

First page is a list of abreviations and ranking method.

2nd Page is the "master data" culled from the style guide. Note it has MY interpretaion of the Malt/Hops aroma/flavour summary and also MY abreviated notes. Feel free to check and/or mod this data. The cards will update from the master data page.

Then follows the style cards in BJCP order, they can be printed out and if you want to they could be laminated and cut up as a deck of cards for the misses to test you on.

The colour is a pathetic attempt to reproduce SRM on the cards!!

The 19 sheets as printed also provide a very brief "cheat sheet" for the online exam!

Comments are welcome!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

That looks really useful Will !
Brew Log

Ciderhead

Will_D

So for Bren & Kellie and any one else here is the old .xls format:

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rossa

These came in really handy when I did the online exam today. Along with the styles some info on how the bjcp rank structure works is handy. Off flavours, mash temps, grist formulation, comparing styles, remedies to bad beers and just a good general knowledge of ag brewing will really help.
A lot of repeat questions and ones to trick you out. Read the questions carefully and remember to scroll to the bottom of each page.
Then you can stick the cert on your toilet wall.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Kellie

your style cards where great help for the online exam!!

Thanks Will I owe you a pint :)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

Kellie

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Reuben Gray

Rossa

brenmurph

She was put on detention since she failed her exam  :o the week before, sent her to her room to study all week and only let her out for the practicals on last saturday ;D  :D
She was grounded from seeing her friends and it clearly taught her a harsh lesson. I was going to make her write 100 times in capitals  " I MUST TASTE MORE BEER, I MUST TASTE MORE BEER......................... :D 

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

This is where you start running I suspect  >:D
Reuben Gray

brenmurph

ah in fairness shes studyin hard and attending loads of events recently...she will probably  leave yis standing on the real test day in a few weeks.
We r in  in tasting mode tnite, plenty more work to get through :D

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Apparently women have a better sense of taste and smell than men, on average that is. So it's certainly possible  8)
Reuben Gray