• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 09:58:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wine brew - ruined or can be saved?

Started by 1joeoreilly, March 15, 2014, 01:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1joeoreilly

Hi Folks,
I started a 6 bottle kit about three weeks ago which fermented fine on the 1st ferment.

The temperature dropped to 16 degrees9even in the hot press)  and the 2nd ferment never happened as a result.
The brew has remained in the 2nd demi john doing nothing since then.

Yesterday the heating pad arrived and the temp is now at 26 degrees but still there are no bubbles in the airlock.

Is this brew now ruined/unsafe?

If it's OK any tips on how to kick start the 2nd ferment and finish the brew out properly?

Thanks,
Joe

Dunkel

Hi Joe, what is the specific gravity of the wine now? It's possible the wine has finished fermenting.

Ciderhead

Did you measure the gravity?
What's temp of liquid
Take it off 26 you will prematurely age
Heat pads aren't great, better with a wrap or heater bands

1joeoreilly

Hi Dunkel & CH,

SG is way below 1.000- Hydrometer drops like  a lump of lead the bottom of the demi john.

Temp currently 24 - 26 range..more like 25.x, max.....temp strip not fully green on the 26 mark.

So is it looking like the fermenting is finished and I can move on to the next stage?

Thanks,
Joe

Will_D

Hi Joe,

Have you been reading beer brewing instructions?

In beer brewing we often talk about primary and secondary fermentations - but they are not separate processes.

Primary means that after a week or so when the vigorous fermentation slows down most of the gunk (Hop bits, grain bits, and a load of yeast) settle to the bottom.

If left they tend to decompose and give off flavours.

To prevent this we rack off he beer into another fermenter and let the beer continue to ferment. The live yeast is in suspension so there is still plenty left. Eventually fermentation stops - no more bubbles. However the yeast is still active and is now clearing up a few odd flavours - in particular diacetyl and acetaldehyde. So a few more days in secondary is required.

A very similar process is present in wines (particularly country fruit/veg wines). So after the vigorous primary rack to secondary.

Some modern wine kits will ferment and clear in 7 days given the right temperature.

This is probably your case.

A true secondary fermentation is usually called the malo/lactic fermentation or in the case of sour beers the brett fermentation. This stuff is for next time

Welcome to the site btw!

HTH

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Greg2013

Joe welcome, if your FG(final gravity) is below 1.000 on your hydrometer then your wine is finished, like CH said get it off that heat pad pronto, it will age prematurely. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

1joeoreilly

Thank Greg & Will D,
I have been reading the instructions that came with the kit...so not beer brewing instructions.
I did watch a tutorial video on Craig Tube a few weeks back on Hydromters though...maybe that's why I appear to know what I'm talking about - which is not the case :)

Wine off the pad, cooling down slowly, I will rack off to another sterilised demi john and leave to settle.

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcomes from everyone.

I will try some red wine for my next attempt.

I am very interested in the science side of things so I'll start to read up on that too...

Joe