• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:00:01 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adding hops to Cooper's Euro Lager

Started by Motorbikeman, March 16, 2014, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

Holy god... SWMBO's going to cut your nuts off when you try to convince her that the fridge belongs in the kitchen  ;D

Motorbikeman

Quote from: LordEoin on March 25, 2014, 10:45:57 PM
Holy god... SWMBO's going to cut your nuts off when you try to convince her that the fridge belongs in the kitchen  ;D
The kitchen.  No way is she sticking the veg and pork chops into my new fridge.

I took it apart and reconstructed it in the attic, where I watch sports in my arm chair away from screaming kids.

The attic and the garage.  Where all good man fridges should be. 8)

LordEoin

Motorbikeman

Sorry to be asking all these questions but im having a problem with my euro lager.

Its been outside in the shed for 2 days now in primary fermentation and seems to be doing nothing.   No bubbles , no airlock activity. 

Its about 8 degrees outside in the shed.    I pitched the yeasts at around 18c   

I was expecting to see it start by now.     

irish_goat

It's way too cold, yeast goes dormant at that temp.

Motorbikeman

Thanks.  Indoors now in the warm.  I hope I have not damaged the process :(

Ciderhead

a very getle stir with a sterilised spoon

Motorbikeman

Hey.  Quick question. 

Is it normal for these lagers to stay in primary for so long?   Been over 17 days now.   It is carbonated in the sample glass and bubbling . 

still sitting a 1.010.       

Tastes quite nice .   

LordEoin

lower temperatures, slower yeast, longer time. perfectly normal :)

Motorbikeman

Wow.  At this rate,  it will not be ready till mid summer after the recommended  12 weeks in the bottle.   :o

LordEoin

lager is a labor of love.
And you'll drink 'em fast in the summer if the sun comes out ;)

Motorbikeman

Hey.   I bottled yesterday,  after nearly 1 month of primary.     

The bottles are in  the beer fridge and sitting at 6 degrees.      Its the highest temp I can get the fridge to go to with the current stat. 

Would this temperature be OK for bottle conditioning?  

After a quick taste,  the Saaz hop tea was a great addition.    Already it is drinkable pre primed.

I currently have 80 pints of ale and lager either conditioning of primary.   And not a drop to drink.   Bad timing. 

LordEoin

unplug the fridge and open the door (or remove them from the fridge) for a couple of weeks.
They need warmth for  the yeast to eat the priming sugar and carbonate the beer.
Then put them in the fridge as low as it will go.