• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:29:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Been a while...some opinions please

Started by Gugs44, May 03, 2014, 09:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugs44

Hi Lads,

Just a few questions if you wouldnt mind? I brewed a very good stout before Xmas and it went down amazingly well, now I want to do it again but add coffee, Oats and Cacao nibs to the brew

Its a 5 Gallon batch so I am gonna add 900g of flaked oats
220g of Cacao nibs into secondary for two weeks after a week soaking in Vodka
I am unsure of how to add the coffee and which way, brew it and add to secondary or just add some crushed beans which I have??

I have no idea of how to add my recipe to this but its the Black Velvet Stout on Beersmith

All replies gladly welcomed

Cheers

Kieran the Human

Doing a coffee beer tomorrow - coffee grounds in a hop bag added after a week in primary is how I'm going to do it - essentially cold brewed coffee using beer instead of water
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Gugs44

Cheers BB

How long will you cold brew it in the beer?? Its just how much coffee to add really, I tried the Franciscan Well Coffee porter yesterday and that was just amazing.

Kieran the Human

FW Coffee Porter is a fantastic beer - I'm just going to leave it sit for 2 weeks. Going with 100g of grounds for 23 litres - taste it after a week and see if it needs more
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Eoink

I make the espresso and add straight to the bottling bucket -I skip the secondary fermentation step -  I think the pressure and heat in an espresso maker forces more of the flavour out of the ground coffee than soaking

Eoink