• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:34:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Summer Beer Competition

Started by St. Fursey, May 05, 2014, 01:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eanna

I did a saison on Sunday, depending on the date of the competition in Galway I might try to get some down as Liffey brewers aren't entering.

Hop Bomb

We could push it out another week or more if it gives us a bit more time? Has everyone brewed for it now?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

montofk

I did laugh at that message 'I've drank the entire keg'  ??? shock horror!.... Happens every time I finish a keg.

I'll be ready with the beer by month end or early June or whenever.... won't make the meet if it's on the 6th June but I'll make the week after.   

I see here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6648.msg86012#msg86012 ..... the main comp is being discussed for end of June (possibly), as long as we're done and judged in time to get beers to Dublin for that we're fine aren't we?... I might even do another..

Kevco5

28th of June is being mooted for the final.
We can go anytime before that provided we still leave time to get them to Dublin.
13th or 20th of June? Assuming we're not judging at our May meet.

DrowningManatee

13th or 20th sounds great to me! Won some extract kit offade HBW there, brewed today. Stuck on 3kg fancy LME, single hopped with citra (goin for 25IBU's) and fermented with danstar saison (gonna ferment around 23C). OG: 1.032 but will finish low. 26L, so plenty o gentle boozing to be done in the Summer :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

MisterBurns

I don't have anything to enter but if we go with 13th it looks like I'll be heading East on the 14th so I can bring the winning entries across - I'll know later this week for sure.

eanna

I'm in hols for the 13th and not sure if I could make it down for the 20th. I might try to leave bottles in the oslo or with somebody next weekend, with somebody might be safer.

Also, does anyone know if there is an allowance for carbonation sugar? I bottled some at 4% with sugar and the rest is kegged.

DrowningManatee

Managed to drink all my yummy saison thinkin i had some in reserve for the comp. Ill be there for the meet nonetheless :)
Primary :
Grapefruit mead

Secondary:
Orange Blossom Mead
Blackberry Mead

Bottled:

Hop Bomb

Quote from: DrowningManatee on June 07, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
Managed to drink all my yummy saison thinkin i had some in reserve for the comp. Ill be there for the meet nonetheless :)

The drink is a curse!

Is this happening this Fri so? What do we need to help run it? Sticker labels, markers, pens, score sheets?
What else needs doing?

montofk

Judges?!... Are we scoring each other or using people that have ruled themselves out of the comp?

Hop Bomb

Same as last year I guess. Have someone who doesnt have an entry in the comp label all the bottles with an entry number. Have them open & pour the samples for the us & we fill out the score sheet. That way we dont know who brewed what. I think thats the way it was last time?

montofk

I think we may guess who's beers are who's... but we'll judge it fairly and impartially... The fine characters we are.

Kevco5

I'm working Friday night so won't be able to judge. More than happy to steward though.
Might need some one to takeover if we end up running late and I have to head off.

I'll print up score-sheets, stickers and pens will be handy too if someone can bring some.

Who's going on the night?

Steward
1. Kevco5

Judging.
etc.

Hop Bomb

I wont make it tomorrow now. Sorry lads.

St. Fursey

My beer is still in the fermenter so I'll be an impartial judge.

I'm working Friday night so won't be able to judge. More than happy to steward though.
Might need some one to takeover if we end up running late and I have to head off.

I'll print up score-sheets, stickers and pens will be handy too if someone can bring some.

Who's going on the night?

Steward
1. Kevco5

Judging.
1. Enda
etc.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk