• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:26:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

beer equipment for making wine?

Started by baphomite51, May 11, 2014, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baphomite51

is it ok to use my beer equipment for brewing a wine kit excluding the fermentor i know that cant be used for both but what about hydrometer, paddle, bottling bucket, racking cane and stuff like that and how many fermentors do i need, i read you have to rack the wine to secondary and add finnings but i just wanna use 1 fermentor bucket? its an australian blend red wine kit

Eoin

You can use any of the equipment for both uses....the only thing that is never advised is if you get into brewing with wild yeasts that you don't crossover plastic equipment.

Glass fermenters are better for long term airlock secondary of wine, but otherwise you can fire away with what you have, no issues at all.

Shane Phelan

I use the same equipment for wine kits with no problem. I do however have a second bucket to use as a secondary as with the additional chemicals, mixing and degassing later in the cycle the primary trub would be stirred up every time with only one bucket.
Brew Log

Qs

Is there any additional equipment needed for doing wine or will my homebrew stuff be enough? I probably need a wine whip do I?

LordEoin

LordEoin

well... I don't have a wine whip, so i guess it's not necessary.
A good shaking does fine for degassing :)

Eoin

If you are rushing wines out, then a degasser is handy. If you leave them long enough under airlock then there's no need.

LordEoin

Rushing wines out   :'(
It's a labor of patience and love!  :-*

Eoin

Quote from: Tube on May 29, 2014, 11:09:28 PM
Why do they have 7 day kits then?  ???

Cos some people will drink shite....?

Qs

Yeah a degasser. I watched someone on youtube and they said you needed to get all the bubbles out. It was just a length of pole with a couple of bits attached at the bottom. Stick on a drill and it spins around.

If time can do the job instead of labour then I'm all for waiting.  ;)