• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 08:03:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

No meet tonight then ???

Started by barkar, June 27, 2014, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barkar

Are we meeting tonight considering the last one was mid month ?

montofk

HA!... only seeing this now!... I wasn't around last night so wouldn't have made it.

Kevco5

Just seeing now too, was working last night though.

St. Fursey

Same here. To Hop Bomb's point: is there a "better" night than the last Friday in the month?
It had to be a Friday or Saturday for me

barkar

Friday or sat for me as well preferably after the 25th - pay day -  although mid month could be a option also  , anyone for mid month ? it will be another 4 weeks before the next one .

Anyone considering going on a road trip to the dark beer comp in cork  city link does a 2.5 hour bus , dont think the buses are suited to up down same day though - like for Dublin

montofk

I sometimes think Saturday night would be better.... At the moment it's a decision for me whether to finish work at 5.30 and hang around town until 8 or go home... by which time I've just got an hour at home before I need to be thinking about heading back in (ie not really worth the bother of going home). Saturday would be easier in that respect. In fact it could be a very leisurely day at home with the family, nicely rounded off by a trip into town on the evening.

Doubt I'd make the dark beer comp... have a wedding the night before.... there's a chance I'll have a hangover. :P

barkar

Saturday might be easier  - would we get the same amount of drop ins , the last few were quite poorly attended for one reason or another

montofk

Quote from: barkar on June 30, 2014, 03:18:31 PM
...the last few were quite poorly attended for one reason or another

I'd say that's just the Irish summer season... people on holidays, weekends away, weddings,... all the big social gigs are between May and September.

Will_D

Just my take:

The reason most meets are midweek is that the venues are quiet and are more than happy to accomodate us.

Secondly pick a day of the month and stick to it.
No date will ever suit everyone every month, but knowing that its always say the second Tuesday on the month allows people to plan ahead and know that there will be a meeting in say September on the second Tuesday.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Kevco5

We've lost some members too, a couple have moved to Dublin, some have gone pro. Add in two or three that might be unable to make the meet then we're down to a handful if we're lucky.
We need to start putting ourselves out there a bit more tbh.

St. Fursey

Quote from: Will_D on July 01, 2014, 11:04:17 AM
Just my take:

The reason most meets are midweek is that the venues are quiet and are more than happy to accomodate us.

Secondly pick a day of the month and stick to it.
No date will ever suit everyone every month, but knowing that its always say the second Tuesday on the month allows people to plan ahead and know that there will be a meeting in say September on the second Tuesday.
We had this model, lately we have been a bit scattered and have become insular; relying on discussions here with our core members.

For me and a few others, weekends are the only option due to work/family commitments or just cos we live out in the sticks and there's no public transport which makes getting home a bit of an issue!

The are two clear actions we can take.
1. Pick a better night if the current one doesnt work (last friday in the month). The Oslo is big enough that it can fit us in on a Saturday night. Other spots might be more of a challenge. With the brewery moving from the Oslo,  a more central spot might work better.

2. Better promotion. Get a sign up in HBW.  Make better use of our Facebook and Twitter presence. Maybe even use a few euro to promote the club on Facebook.

3. Have another brew day...

Post your suggestions on a postcard

Kevco5

4. Posters up in GBB bars.
5. T-shirts!

montofk

6. Strippers!?  :-\
7. + 1 on another brew day in the Oslo (it's very visual and tangible... people can drop in for a pint and stroll over for a nosey and chat)
8. + 1 on a sign in HBW, but also a chat Brian and Co there to point people in our direction. I'd often hear newbie customers looking for 'how to' info from the staff (as I did myself starting out)... Maybe a stack of little flyers on the counter there - "here these guys meet for a few jars every month and will help you out" ... at least then you're gathering people that have already expressed an interest (by virtue of the fact they're in a homebrew shop) rather than trying to cold recruit.    Everyone likes drinking, not everyone would be arsed brewing.

MisterBurns

+1 on number 6.

Also i know the last Friday of the month suits people cause it's normally straight after payday but because it's straight after payday a lot of other activities are planned around it so maybe 1st/2nd Friday of the month might be better??

Definitely agree that linking in with HBW more would help with numbers and perhaps inviting them along to more meetings

barkar

Any harm in putting a few posters in the salt - house, HBW would be the obvious choice as well,

do you think its a saturation point re the possible number of home brewers in Galway? obviously there is more dropping into Brian than us or he wouldn't have bothered having a bricks and mortar business  ? I go in there some times and there is always someone there

Saturday might be more suitable for meets although Friday is also good due to the fact you have a good bit of the weekend left without a possible hangover

What are thoughts on the dates then stay with what we have or chance some thing else

Reading my points back I realised I haven't added anything to the conversation other than stating what was already stated !