• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 10:24:13 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

HLT, Mash Tun and Keggle.

Started by Blackbrew, January 07, 2013, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbrew

Due to some upgrades I have the following equipment for sale.

30 Litre Plastic 2200W Electric HLT with Burco tap, kettle lead €50
SS Keggle with Glass lid, SS ball valve and SS thermo and SS Bazooka on inside €150
Medium Cooler Mash Tun with SS Slotted Manifold and Ball valve. €45 (outside is a little scuffed up)
Large Cooler Mash Tun (60L) with SS Manifold and Ball valve. €75 (as new)

Discount if someone wants the lot or several bits

Perfect for someone looking to move into all grain any questions or if you want better photos, let me know.

Also interested in Trade am looking for Corny kegs and SS Drums (for FV)

JimmyM

January 07, 2013, 01:20:35 PM #1 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:21:37 PM by JamesM
Ill swap a corny for the mashtun;
Actually - where are ya?
Formerly JamesM.

JimmyM

I See youve 2 mashtuns - the smaller one will prob do - what size is it?
Formerly JamesM.

newToBrew

hey Blackbrew -
any chance of a pic of the manifold and or the inside of the green mash tun - have one of those cooler boxes that I need to convert - would like to see your solution
thanks !
coz theres always something new to do

Blackbrew

Quotehey Blackbrew -
any chance of a pic of the manifold and or the inside of the green mash tun - have one of those cooler boxes that I need to convert - would like to see your solution
thanks !

Its just a bigger/longer version of the other manifold, it's SS flex pipe with slots on the underside and the far end blanked. Its blanked rather than crushed so you can blow water/cleaner through the system to clean the manifold easier. The slots are a PITA to cut in the SS flexi as its tough stuff.

Ciderhead

January 07, 2013, 02:51:43 PM #5 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:53:03 PM by Ciderhead
Quotehey Blackbrew -
thanks !

I am guessing its similar to my own
15 mashes now with this one and never ever had a stuck sparge or anything close, never saw what all the fuss was about.
Have also posted on here post for cutting copper with jigsaw with template.

Hop Bomb

January 07, 2013, 04:15:27 PM #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:17:25 PM by Hop_Bomb
How much better is a manifold like that compared to a bazooka tube? (sorry for hijacking your FS thread)

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Blackbrew

January 07, 2013, 04:31:11 PM #7 Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:34:56 PM by Blackbrew
I did try a braided SS hose in this Tun first but had issues stuck or slow draining, it might have been some poor technique on my part, crushing of the hose, the types of malt (wheat) or my grist ratio, others seem to use these types with no problem for batch sparging.

I think a slotted manifold is the most fool proof and allows fly sparging options.

(I have now moved onto a larger 80L system with a false bottom which im yet to test out). I can include a Braided hose aswell with the smaller mash tun if anyone wants a different option to try (I think the slotted manifold it has fitted now is the best).

Ciderhead

Pipe up if you have had a stuck sparge with braid.
Braid is a lot easier to do but not half the fun ;)

Ciderhead

I think a slotted manifold is the most fool proof .

Thanks er I think ;)

rukkus

I put one of the long bazooka screens into my 60l cooler and it seems to do the job

Ciderhead

SS advantages v manifold

Simpler
Easier to construct
Better filtration (particle size)
Cheaper

Disadvantages

Harder to clean
Higher potential for stuck sparge
Prone to channelling
Not as good for fly sparging

Churchman

I would like to start an all grain so would be interested in a part swap deal with a couple of cornies for some of your stuff if interested thanks.

newToBrew

Quotehey Blackbrew -
thanks !
Cheeky cnut!

whatya talkin about willis ?
coz theres always something new to do

Taf

Quotehey Blackbrew -
thanks !
Cheeky cnut!

whatya talkin about willis ?

I wonder how many of the younger brewers know who willis is?