• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 01:09:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cider: what to do with Ciderheads juice?

Started by RichC, November 05, 2012, 09:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

QuoteLads, are you going to ferment that juice in the barrel or decant it first to the fermentation vessel aka plastic bucket?

I've added Campden tablets. Will wait 24 hours or so and then pour into fermenters ( I need the empty containers already )

I will add nutrients and a pinch of pectolayse.

I will pitch with the trub from a batch of Chardonnay that I've just done.

Initial ferment will be warm ( about 20C ) to get the yeast going. Then will go cooler ( about 16C ) until most of the initial fermentation has subsided then it will be outside for the winter at whatever temps we get.

In Feb will have a look at it and take it from there

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Jacob

Are you going to leave it in fermenter on primary to Feb?

Will_D

QuoteAre you going to leave it in fermenter on primary to Feb?

No - sorry should have been a bit clearer.

The in-house primary fermentation are done in 5 gallon fermenters. After the vigourous primary had died down (probably 2 or 3 weeks) then they are racked into the custom designed "Stainless Steel 11 gallon out door fermentor" ( read Keg + plus airlock )

Will

Jacob

Eoin

What temperatures are you guys fermenting at? I hear 15C a lot with regard to cider, my own lidl job is on at 15c at the moment and going like the clappers (almost done now). I'll be leaving it at 15c as well for the whole period.

newToBrew

I have no temp control to speak of - so I guess room temp - I'll just knock off the radiator in that room
coz theres always something new to do

RichC

Discovered a homebrew section in tesco Maynooth today and they had pectin enzyme so I picked some up. How do I use it? Just a couple of teaspoons in before I pitch the yeast or what?

Thx

RichC

Woohoo. Heading to Tesco shortly and I knew there was something I forgot!
yes!! My reaction too, fermentors, crown caps, airlocks etc. I recently ran out of crown caps an had to order online

Will_D

Update:

When John said "25L of Juice" he was not joking. Weighed one on the containers and it was about 27Kg. Allowing 1kg for the container and a bit for the gravity we got one whole lot of juice!!

So much so that my two 5 gallon FV are comfortably full as are two deimijohns.

So as mentioned above: The two 5 gallon batches were sulphited ( on arrival), pectic enzyme added in morning, and this evenning added nutrients and pitched with chardonnay yeast trub.  The 2 demijohns the same but split one of the Youngs cider yeasts that John so kindly gave me.

Now starting off at about 20C to get the first vigorous fermentation, then its cool down time

Will

RichC

Still not clear on how /when and how much pectic enzyme to use. Can someone explain please. I added campden 24hrs ago and intend adding yeast tomorrow evening. How much and when dining add pectic enzyme? Also , do I need to boil it or is it sterile?

Will_D

QuoteStill not clear on how /when and how much pectic enzyme to use. Can someone explain please. I added campden 24hrs ago and intend adding yeast tomorrow evening. How much and when dining add pectic enzyme? Also , do I need to boil it or is it sterile?

It should say the dosage on the container. I had just enough for a teaspoon and a half to the 5 gallons.

Technically as its an enzyme that actual amount 1, 2 or 3 teaspoon fulls shouldn't matter.

You add the enzyme, leave a day then pitch the yeast. Enzymes work best at room temperature and the alcohol will enventually inhibit them.

You don't boil the juice as this would ruin the flavour. Whilst it is not sterile this is how cider is made. Relax it will turn out just fine.

Will

Eoin

Apart from anything else, boiling will probably denature the enzyme and cause it to be useless.

RichC

Is this stuff best bulk aged in plastic or bottled(and maybe primed) and allowed to age in bottles?

Thanks

Eoin

QuoteIs this stuff best bulk aged in plastic or bottled(and maybe primed) and allowed to age in bottles?

Thanks

Bulk aging is always better as a rule.

Ciderhead

November 27, 2012, 07:26:33 PM #44 Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:30:30 PM by Ciderhead
Bulk age in a Carboy if you can, have a look here and here for storage.