• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 05:07:13 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing sanitizer..

Started by psham, July 22, 2014, 05:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psham

Looking at virodox in my local creamery.
€20 for 5 litres anyone experienced enough to know if this would do for a sanitizer for bottles, kegs and brewing equipment.
It says its a no rinse , just don't know what volumes to dilute by if suitable.

Will_D

Quote from: psham on July 22, 2014, 05:10:49 PM
It says its a no rinse , just don't know what volumes to dilute by if suitable.

I don't want to be facetious but RTFM!

It clearly states on the data sheet:

Use at 0.5% for pressure cleaning (Ie. CIP systems)

Use at 0.1% for final rinse of dairy parlour equipment ( no need to rinse after )

It scare the shite out of a chemist (ME) that people can go buy some incredibly dangerous chemicals without a fekking clue as to the chemical safety of said products:

For example:

DIY Stores: Solid Sodium Hydroxide (will disolve skin and bones)
                    98% Conc. Sulphuric Acid as above but burns like Fekk and will make you cry

Mix either of these the wrong way with water and they will explode all over you!
Now you all know the correct way to dilute stong acids or dry  hydroxide pellets don't you?

Peracetcic Acid: See Sulphuric

Percarbonate (W5) see Sodium Hydrixide above but only a bit less deadly

38% Hydrogen Peroxide: Maybe wont hurt the skin but your T-shirt will become spontaneosulsy combustible when splahed

Iodine Based Solutions: You won't do a simple starch test again.

Mixed Gas bottles and adapters to use a CO2 Regulator: "FFS don't wind me up"

Wiring Up Electrics with NO FEKKING Clue ( See above re. gas)

There is a lot of GREAT info on this site so PLEASE PLEASE ask before doing anything you don't know about.

So far we have not had any nasty incidents - lets keep it that way

Before you go into the local farmers co-op to buy 5 lites of something - just ask here
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

psham

I thought I did ask nearly a month ago now.  You are the first to respond.. Don't worry , I didn't buy , was waiting to be enlightened..

psham

This is the dilution I calculated from the manual..
1:1000 = 1 mil per litre
23L water needs 23 mils.

Is this correct??

Will_D

August 18, 2014, 12:58:05 AM #4 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:17:31 PM by Will_D
Only just saw the OP date!

Somut wrong with my "read New Stuff Settings"

Yes you are correct:

0.1% is 1 in 1000

as 1% is 1 in 100

Also ppm ( Parts per million) is milligrams per litre so a 50 ppm of salt (sodium chloride) is 50 mg per litre or in big numbers 50 grams per cubic meter (Tonne)

For ppb (parts per billion - like what the drug testers use - just divide by another 1000)

So 50 ppb of salt is is 50 mg per Tonne (1000 litres/1 Cubic Meter)

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Tom

Will, please tell me you were a secondary school chemistry teacher at some point!

LordEoin

I'd just stick to bleach/vinegar to avoid a trip to the GP. 3ml of each in 2liters of water. Never mix them undiluted.

nigel_c

We just need to get Will a beard now

Taf

Wasn't Bren Murphy working on some sort of version of starsan at half the price? Can't find the thread now, but would be interested to know when that might be available.

Greg2013

Quote from: Taf on August 18, 2014, 04:20:26 PM
Wasn't Bren Murphy working on some sort of version of starsan at half the price? Can't find the thread now, but would be interested to know when that might be available.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3535.0.html
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

brenmurph

Miraculously homebrewwest reduced the orice of a litre of stsrsan to 22 euros. ( a 30-40% reduction) A long way from the original price. This move made it not so viable to continue our irish starsan project which was ready to go just before the massive price drop by hbw.

Taf

Ah okay Bren,  thanks for the update,  and good to know.

brenmurph

for those of you down cork direction the prices quoted by biocell ( I think the biggest brewery supplier) are in the link  http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3535.0.html
with some good info on that page.

johnrm

I was in HBC today and enquired about starsan, they say its dropped in price there too.

cruiscinlan

Just regarding this I did a search for peracetic acid and found Deosan Active 5%paa for sale in Munster:

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hygiene/Sanitisers/Deosan-Active-225lt-0691309

This is €72 for 22.5L (€16 for 5L), correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that cheaper again than what was available in the planned group buy from brenmurph or is this totally different stuff?

At €3.20/L its a country mile cheaper than starsan even at the reduced price. 

€6.50 for delivery if folk outside the area the Co-Ops are based are interested.