• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:32:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

52liter food grade drums

Started by LordEoin, November 01, 2014, 12:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alealex

I've asked CH yesterday about how safe is it to ferment or boil liquids in blue HDPE containers. 'Stay away from it unless you wanna grow nice pair of man tits' - was the answer  :)
Anyways there are blue HDPE drums with white PTFE which is totally fine as FV.
Worth asking in Indian restaurants and asian food shops.

Might atract gynecomastia fans  ???  :o  :P

Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

LordEoin

Feck.. that's where I went wrong!  :-[

Damofto

Thanks for the info.  I pulled the trigger too soon, but they won't go to waste anyway.

homebrew.ie have a reasonably priced 60 litre that I'll probably go for now.
http://www.homebrew.ie/60-litre-fermentation-vessel-614-p.asp

cruiscinlan

Quote from: imark on November 02, 2014, 09:45:26 PM
Google the msds for the material in question and make your own decisions. I'm only speaking from what I've learned here over the years so searching may be worth trying.

What is 'msd'?  I'm trying to figure out if I can ferment in plain white HDPE [type 2].

johnrm

John Edward

I bought 2 of these about a month ago. I'm happy enough with them but was planning to use them for fermentation.

So is the verdict that they're not ok? The man sold them on to me as being suitable for fermentation. If they're not, then we ought to report the add for false advertising.

paddyp

Quote from: John Edward on November 07, 2014, 12:21:33 AM
I bought 2 of these about a month ago. I'm happy enough with them but was planning to use them for fermentation.

So is the verdict that they're not ok? The man sold them on to me as being suitable for fermentation. If they're not, then we ought to report the add for false advertising.

I wouldn't use them but i still think they're a great bargain for storage, they're twice the price without delivery locally here. Great for cement, tile adhesive, fertiliser, lime, softener salt, dog food etc. etc.

LordEoin

They'd probably be  fine for fermentation.

paddyp

Quote from: LordEoin on November 07, 2014, 10:12:55 AM
They'd probably be  fine for fermentation.

We have no idea who manufactured the them or what was stored in them. Out of interest what codes are on them John.

LordEoin

delzep

LordEoin

a herd of dairy cattle will go through quite a bit of salt

johnrm