• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 05:45:14 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Analysis group buy.

Started by johnrm, December 23, 2012, 10:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

This was mentioned on another thread so no detail yet, just gauging interest in a Water analysis group buy for the new year...

1. Johnrm

Shane Phelan

1. Johnrm
2. Shiny

Also interested in this, depending on price of course.
Brew Log

Will_D

Errm,???

One of ye's in Cork and one is in Dublin???

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

Will, I was pricing water testing kits from the same source as the flasks but it was working out at €40 per mineral and there are 5 or 6 ? Relevant minerals to test for.

I'm genuinely interested to see cheaper options.

Or am I completely misunderstanding here?

Brew Log

Eugene O'Brien

I just wondered if you had checked with your local council for data. They test routinely and if there are any complaints. They have the data and, in Laois anyway, are more than happy to share them.
Euge

Will_D

The last time I checked on the price for a DECENT (read comprehensive) laboratory water analysis it was crazy money:

Inorganic Analysis: ( i.e. Minerals and the like ) € 100
Organic Analysis (i.e. Bacteria and things that may KILL you ) another €100

So the concept of a group buy water analysis is no so daft.

But as stated if you are on a well, group water scheme or even North County Dub where we blend the water as required then it can and does change on a daily basis.

The good news is as I have banged on about in the past:

[size=14]Water is the least of your variables:
[/size]

Learn to control:

Time
Temperature

and you will be laughing all the way to the winners podium at the NHC.ie HB championships!!

Will

johnrm

December 24, 2012, 11:10:15 AM #6 Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:16:26 AM by johnrm
I moved house 6 months ago.
In my previous house, which was on a group scheme, the water taste changed Summer to Winter.
We are due to move again in the new year, and maybe again later in the year.
Call me picky, but seeing as the liquor is biggest ingredient, I think it is important to know its make up regardless of moves.
As tube above, I had major issues trying to get anyone to give me an indication of the water profile

newToBrew

I'm in waterford city there's a few mains lines areas I pulled.the.test report pdfs down before from city council website - also ad quiet a nice chat on phone with the  local water dude - he was delighted to be chatting to some one who hadn't rang to complain !

I remember putting the links up on a post on beoir on phone now so not looking probably not.of great relevance to u guys but that's what I did
coz theres always something new to do

rukkus

Will_D

Just looked at the site and the data provided is not much use to brewers.

It is all about not exceeding limits on proscribed chemicals and elements.

They only show compliance!

The pLevel is probably the only one that is relevant to brewers and they only show 44% acceptance of the permitted range. Some waters must be highly alkaline.

The interesting stuff that is present in all waters and does not have EPA limits are the things we need to know about. In particular:

Calcium, Magnessium, Carbonates, Total Hardness and pH

HTH

Will

rukkus

If you select the chemical / test you want it gives you the results instead of the percentage for compliance, is that not the kind of info we need?

RichC

Ive had pretty major issues with water in the past and am still working with my softener company to resolve them. I've had tests done by Euro Environmental(Drogheda), Public Analysts Lab(Dublin) and I've recently been onto another company in Navan. Not all are full accredited(ISO etc) but that doesnt necessarily mean their results are inaccurate. I have a private well, think its about 150feet deep with a submersible pump. Its about 6 years old so its bored/lined to a fairly high standard(dont believe theres any surface water ingress). Depending on rainfall, time of year and god knows how many other variables the water profile changes. I've got high Iron, CaCo3 and Manganese and a multitude of other problems. I dont believe theres a DIY kit that will yield reliable results(but I could be wrong-wouldnt be the first time). My Iron tested at 900ppb in september2011 with Public Analysts Lab(Fully Accredited). I sent a sample in for retest in october 2012 and it came in at 1400ppb. Turns out that I had allowed some iron sediment into the sample with they bring back into solution with an acid wash-- so the 2nd result was useless.
The company in Navan that contacted me before christmas said they charge a minimum of E50 but they insist on coming out to take the sample themselves.(I think he said the 50 would cover iron/hardnessmanganese but not sure).
Anyway, after all that rambling I sincerely believe that if you want to know what your water profile is, get a RO unit which will give you fairly consistent soft water, then treat it for each beer(what I do now). Typically these things need filter changes twice a year(and membrane once I think). You can get a cheap(E15) test kit that will tell you if the water coming from your RO unit is hard or soft and this should verify if it needs a filter change or is still working.
Thats my 2cents worth!

Ciderhead

January 01, 2013, 09:09:28 PM #12 Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:11:36 PM by Ciderhead
I'm also on a 100m well with a tower to bring ph up to 7.5 from just under 7 and haven't looked at water before now for brewing, and normal indication for house was her highlights turning green :)
The test kit I got last week from eBay gave me a consistent 7.4 from the strips and a value of 90 for my CacO3 so happy enough with that.
With a lager target of 25-30 I will have a mess around now with crs and dls adjustment to see if it makes much difference.
For us souls on wells it's so dependant on time of year, and how topped up our treatments are.
I think water analysis is just a snapshot in time and even on public systems reading posts here there seems to be a lot of variability :(

Ale Man

I use General Analytical Laboratories in Kanturk Co.Cork, a specific brewing water test, your important minerals and bio, bio test sample is not representitive if it's in the post for a week, mineral makes no odds. Getting one done again at the moment. Great service and very helpful.

Ciderhead

QuoteI use General Analytical Laboratories in Kanturk Co.Cork, a specific brewing water test, your important minerals and bio, bio test sample is not representitive if it's in the post for a week, mineral makes no odds. Getting one done again at the moment. Great service and very helpful.

Aleman can you advise what they charge thnx?