• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 16, 2024, 09:14:18 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

4.5 gallon casks (Pins)

Started by CARA, December 10, 2012, 04:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARA

Just throwing this out there (not sure if it belongs here or in the public section??) but would there be much interest in this sort of group buy?
We would be ordering 50 (a pallet to keep shipping costs down) pins, available in brown or black with your individual branding/brewery name/family crest printed for around 36 stg plus vat.
I will go into more details and price up taps, spare shivs and keystones, soft and hard pegs etc depending on interest.
Upa Sesh

CARA

Pin 4.5gal

The industry standard pin, a fraction of the weight of a stainless steel pin, very robust and significantly less expensive
Pin-large
Product Specifications:
Volume       20.5 Litre
Colour       Brown or Black
Outer Dimensions       330mm
Height       380mm
Weight       1.90kg
Max Working Pressure       0.5bar
Quantity per pallet       50

Upa Sesh

CARA

I would be taking a good chunk of the 50 also but I'll wait and see what orders come through. Was chatting to the fella this morning and he also pointed out that the current lead time is 8 weeks.
Upa Sesh

Will_D

Would the branding be done on a per Pin basis or a per pallet basis?

If the later then use the NHC Brand name and Logo?

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

CARA

Upa Sesh

Rossa

CARA

QuoteI'd get this on mine:

We could do that on quite a few to make up numbers maybe? We dont need to order 50 like, it's just that a pallet is 50 and delivery is obviously priced per pallet.
Upa Sesh

CARA

Might be able to get it down a couple of quid although I would like a percentage of the sales to go to the NHC coffers also. This includes delivery to the North so I will personally be responsible for nationwide delivery included in the price.
Upa Sesh

rukkus

Do you have a pic of one including a logo / crest?

CARA

Upa Sesh

rukkus

Will_D

I'm a big enough equipment geek to try a few!

As they will take 0.5 bar then they are not far off the spec of the 5 gallon pressure barrels that we use but as they are casks they would look Uber cool.

Ok thats fired the old grey matter:

Cooling Jackets?
Cold Fingers?

Taps and Spiles you've mentioned.

As they are plastic then the stillage is much less important:

Wooden Barrels need to unload the presure on the staves so you need a proper stillage to fit the casks.

Plastic: Just need to stop the casks from rolling!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

johnrm

Beer Engine Multibuy next?
Tube, did you have yours off a corny?
How did that work out?

IsMise

Cara Eire mentioned this at the Brewday... twould be brilliant to have my family crest on own little barrell.... then the contents would be all mine, (like having my own tankard, only bigger) no sharing the nice brews with family drinkers (sons etc.) only leave the cat-pissy stuff for themĀ  ;D
Sounds like a plan i would buy into, especially if there's a 2-month lead-in.

Padraic

QuoteBeer Engine Multibuy next?
Tube, did you have yours off a corny?
How did that work out?
This main reason I am interested is because of the beer engine. And I am not joking you, cask is an art form that a lot of "pro" brewers can't even get right.

A group buy of beer engines would be a nice idea, *but* they are always a lot cheaper 2nd hand on ebay than they ever will be reconditioned from the manufacturer. Maybe looking out for a job lot on ebay is the way to go.

I floated this idea in the past elsewhere and I didn't get much buy in for a lot of 10 engines on ebay!

If anyone spots something I would be interested in a couple of casks and a beer engine! Or I could get 6 and have more than any bar in the city :)