• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:18:05 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

4.5 gallon casks (Pins)

Started by CARA, December 10, 2012, 04:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARA

I will ALWAYS have more than you, it's my sworn duty!! :p

QuoteBeer Engine Multibuy next?
Tube, did you have yours off a corny?
How did that work out?
This main reason I am interested is because of the beer engine. And I am not joking you, cask is an art form that a lot of "pro" brewers can't even get right.

A group buy of beer engines would be a nice idea, *but* they are always a lot cheaper 2nd hand on ebay than they ever will be reconditioned from the manufacturer. Maybe looking out for a job lot on ebay is the way to go.

I floated this idea in the past elsewhere and I didn't get much buy in for a lot of 10 engines on ebay!

If anyone spots something I would be interested in a couple of casks and a beer engine! Or I could get 6 and have more than any bar in the city :)
Upa Sesh

kev

I'd be interested in a few if this happens

CARA

Still working on getting the images of printed pins for us, busy time of year for them I'd say
Upa Sesh

Taf

I'd probably be up for a couple of these as well.

johnrm

December 27, 2012, 11:39:30 AM #19 Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:41:36 AM by johnrm
I am interested in 2.
Now the missus can say 'nice pins' to me!

Partridge9

I will probably get one as well

The main reason I am interested is that everyone else is getting one and they seem rather cool and I don't want to feel I'm been left out.

I'll convince myself that I need it when I'm ordering it - but realistically - it will probably never be used.

So Decision time...

I'll take one - actually - make it two

johnrm

Robrew

so im new to the brew  :) and im wondering what is the difference to corny kegs and these, I know these are for long term maturation but can they be used as kegs after the time? or what would be the main benefit of these casks?  :)

CARA

Cask IMO is a great way to store and serve beer. Beer in cask is unfiltered and unpasteurised and still contains a bit of yeast so undergoes further fermentation in the cask. Unlike the forced gassing in a corny, the slight sparkle from cask is from the co2 built up naturally from the maturation period.

From a homebrew perspective its alot cheaper than the whole corny setup as you can just clean out your cask and tap and replace the keystone at the front.
Upa Sesh

CARA

With regards the group buy in general, the initial idea of printed casks isn't feasible by this company only a high quality indented branding and possibly a small logo imprint (the company in question actually supply of the English micro brewery casks I have in the pub so I'll take a picture tonight to clarify what I mean). However, a second option is print to fit vinyl sticker which would be place either on the cask front or around the centre piece (belly) of the cask.
Thoughts?
Upa Sesh

Padraic

What are the prices looking like? Still around the £36 GBP?

I think Vinyl stickers are the way to go, you could get whatever you wanted printed on there!

What are the estimated costs of equipment you'd need for a cask?

i.e. you need keystones, bungs, shives, taps... (I may have invented some of them!) little wooden wedges... (these are probably free or are they more complicated then they look!) how many spares do you need...

Can I bully you into doing a demo at the capital brewers some evening when the casks arrive??

Also I would like to declare my interest!

johnrm

My thinking is to keep it simple.
Just interested in the pins and accessories.
Customisation does nothing for me.

CARA

Yeah pf course Padraic, i'll cover every possible angle, split keystones, cleaning, racking, venting etc etc
Price will stay the same hopefully as long as the stickers aren't ridiculously expensive. Think Fran Well cask sticker style!
Upa Sesh

Padraic

QuoteYeah pf course Padraic, i'll cover every possible angle, split keystones, cleaning, racking, venting etc etc
Price will stay the same hopefully as long as the stickers aren't ridiculously expensive. Think Fran Well cask sticker style!

I've never seen a fran well sticker! Post us some pictures!

CARA

Will do man, i'm back in the pub on Friday!
Upa Sesh