• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:42:45 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pale Ale

Started by Bugsyboy, March 16, 2015, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugsyboy

Hi
I'm new here. Hoping to pop along Holland's in Bray this Thursday.Looking for a little quick advice please. I've just put a pale ale into my secondary. It was a an extract kit for a SN Torpedo clone. Don't know what hops were in it as they were labelled A B and C. I ordered a Sierra Nevada clone kit but this one came instead. I brewed it up anyway. However I tasted it when it came out of the primary. It's actually quite like the torpedo. My favourite pale ales are less bitter and more grassy, (I like Adnam's GHost Ship PA, Blacks PA,Founders Session PA and Sierra Nevada PA.) Any after all that introduction here is my question.

I have three hops at the moment Saaz, Hallertauer Hersbrucker and Centennial. Which of these would move the beer in the more fruity direction and divert from the bitterness. I'd like some citra or galaxy but don't have any to hand. Or is it just too late to influence the bitterness?

Thanks

irish_goat

It is a bit late to change the bitterness really as once it's there, it's there. Dry hopping will also in theory increase your perception of bitterness. If you have any malt handy you could add some of it to the secondary, either by steeping and boiling in a pot or by using malt extract. This would sweeten the beer a little and help balance the bitterness.

As for hops I think it'd be pointless using anything but the Centennial as the Saaz and Hersbrucker would probably be lost if it's a Torpedo clone.