• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:01 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NBC 2015 Gold IPA ("Zombie Mosaic")

Started by Paul B, March 17, 2015, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul B

Batch Size (vol into fermenter): 24L
Bottling vol: 21L
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV: 6.3 %
Mash Temp: 66c
Priming: 2.5 vol

5.40 kg Maris Otter
0.51 kg Munich
0.22 kg Carapils
0.22 kg Crystal 40
0.22 kg Melanoiden

30 g Mosaic (First Wort Hop)
40 g Mosaic (15 min)
40 g Mosaic (10 min)
40 g Mosaic (5 min)
50 g Mosaic (1 min)
100 g Mosaic (Dry Hop 7 Days)
SafAle English Ale S-04 (Rehydrated)

Notes:
- The hops are upped slightly from the original recipe.  This was due to one or two miscalculations I made while making this beer which may or may not have pushed it ahead!  250g still makes a great beer.
- The volumes are based on my equipment (geterbrewed BIAB kit).
- Mash in 27L for 60 mins, then pull bag.  First wort hops are added to the kettle at this stage.  Squeeze bag as much as possible, then dunk sparge in about 4L of sparge water in another bucket.  Use this to top the kettle back up to 27L for the boil.  This gives me ~75% efficiency.
- I use a bag for the hops and leave it in while chilling which takes ~30 mins with my chiller.  My hope is this is beneficial (similar to hop stand).
- After this I sanitise my hands well and squeeze out the hop bag; they soak up a lot.  I do the same after dry hopping.
- This leaves me with 24L into the fermenter which after fermentation results in 21L bottling volume.
- Ferment for 7 days @ 17c or as close as you can, then dry hop for another 7.
- Job done!

Vermelho

fishjam45 (Colin)

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

molc

Lovely recipe. It really us a zombie dust base, though with a boatload more hops :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

nigel_c

I did something very similar a while a while back but whiteout the Melanoiden malt. Was very very happy with it
Contracts on the win

biertourist

That's a lot of hops!

Congrats!  I just can't get enough Mosaic, personally.  I think I'm going to have to go out on a limb and call it my favorite hop over-all...  Sorry Citra!

Adam

molc

Quote from: biertourist on March 18, 2015, 10:58:21 PM
That's a lot of hops!

Congrats!  I just can't get enough Mosaic, personally.  I think I'm going to have to go out on a limb and call it my favorite hop over-all...  Sorry Citra!

Adam
Them be fighting words! Heathen ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

LordEoin

cheers pdb, one for the to-do list for sure :)

krockett

Thanks Pdb. I just ordered the hops and grain to do this one..

Paul B

Quote from: Mac780 on April 13, 2015, 08:54:37 PM
Thanks Pdb. I just ordered the hops and grain to do this one..

Great let us know how it turns out!

Jonnycheech

Congrats on the gold and thanks for the recipe Paul.

Just brewed this using the All Grain method. Pretty happy with the brew day; hit most of the targets and it was largely uneventful apart from a small-ish spill when transferring into FV. Some amount of Citra going into the brew, 245g in all, house smells delish!

What are peoples thoughts on 10 day dry hopping? Seems a bit excessive no?

Also what are peoples experiences of fermenting to 1.018? Did you have to keep checking the FG when it was close? i.e. will it go lower if left too long fermenting? I don't really want this beer any stronger than 6.6-6.8%. I used S-04 yeast as recommended.

Better get the cleaning products out before SWMBO returns.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Paul B

Nice one Johnny :)

I do a 7 day dry hop, I haven't heard of any benefits from doing longer, though there's plenty of reports of grassy flavors from doing longer than 7.  In regards to the FG, the yeast will go as far as they can which depends on things like mash temp and yeast health.  S-04 tends to finish a bit higher than 05, for me mashing at 66c it tends to finish at 1.014.  Anyway keep us updated!

krockett

April 20, 2015, 12:02:50 PM #12 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:04:26 PM by Mac780
I had a few hiccups. I left the valve on my mash tun open as I poured in my strike water. Realised after a minute or two but was never really sure of volume/ gravity after that.

Then my hop filter came off. This, coupled with the fact that HBC sent me  a pack of pellet and leaf hops instead of all leaf for the boil phase meant that I had 5 litres of gloop at the bottom of the kettle. It blocked the tap so I lost it all. Tried straining it but it just produced trub sludge.

I diluted this down with boiled water. We had the horrors on Saturday after a few 6%+ IPAs Friday night, so I wanted an OG of 1052. Yield in the fermenter= 22 litres.

Am loving the smell of mosaic though.

krockett

Its my first time using 04 and the Krausen has dropped out fully! Is this normal?

Its still bubbling away.

winstonia

Would it make much of a difference if I didn't use Mosaic or Citra for bittering? Kind of kills the single hop beer I know.