• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 04:43:54 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Could be useful for a Belgian style beer where candy sugar and yeast contribute a fair chunk of the flavor of the beer.

irish_goat

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on October 23, 2016, 08:37:02 PM
Gluten free liquid malt extracts (LME) now in stock:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/gluten-free-beer-kits-459-c.asp
We'd like to sponsor a gluten free beer competition if the NHC would run it and judge etc. What do you think? I guess we could supply enough LME for maybe 20 entries? More if required?

Great idea. I'll chat with the clubs and see if we get any bites.  :)

Pheeel

So what is the GF LME derived from?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Hingo

dcalnan

If you use clarity ferm, it would allow you to use some specially malt and reduce the gluten content. Afaik it's what breweries like 9 white deer are using with their gf beer.

Pheeel

Quote from: dcalnan on October 24, 2016, 02:00:31 PM
If you use clarity ferm, it would allow you to use some specially malt and reduce the gluten content. Afaik it's what breweries like 9 white deer are using with their gf beer.

It's dangerous to be calling anything using clarity ferm as GF. Reduction isn't the same as none. It'll be fine that that are sensitive but those that allergic it can still be bad
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Leann ull

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Hingo on October 24, 2016, 01:18:55 PM
Sorghum based extract? Similar to https://www.morebeer.com/products/sorghum-extract-3-pounds.html
Nope. See:
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/gluten-free-beer-kits-459-c.asp
Its top quality barley malt extract that has been treated with enzymes to remove the gluten. In normal malt extracts the gluten content varies between 500 – 5000 ppm.

Natural barley malt enzymes are used to reduce the gluten to less than 20 ppm. That's less than 3 ppm in 23 litres of beer made using 2 cans (3 Kg).

What is also unique is the price . . . compare it to competing products (several times the price). Don't know how long we can keep it at Euro 6.95 for a 1.5 Kg can.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Will_D

Just to be Anal about this:

"Gluten Free" implies that it is Celiac safe. Is it certified GF?

A tiny amount of gluten can REALLY upset a Celiac's day.

Gluten Intolerance is a a widely used term with almost no background science.

If you are GI and eat a bit of bread or drink some real beer then you MAY suffer some MILD inconvenience to you digestive system and lower bowel.

If you are Celiac then worse case is a coffin.

Be very careful about this please!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

googoomuck

Quote from: Will_D on October 24, 2016, 08:13:30 PM
Just to be Anal about this:

"Gluten Free" implies that it is Celiac safe. Is it certified GF?

A tiny amount of gluten can REALLY upset a Celiac's day.

Gluten Intolerance is a a widely used term with almost no background science.

If you are GI and eat a bit of bread or drink some real beer then you MAY suffer some MILD inconvenience to you digestive system and lower bowel.

If you are Celiac then worse case is a coffin.

Be very careful about this please!
It says "less that 20ppm of gluten" so not gluten free.
I'm a chef, and people with "non celiac gluten sensitivity" piss me right off, partly because there is such little evidence to back it up and partly because they will have a gluten free option for main course (while making a huge fuss) but will happily devour the dessert menu. What ya gonna do!? Anyway in my experience, people with severe allergies, nuts, shellfish, gluten etc don't tend to eat out. It's safer for them to stay at home and cook themselves. No restaurant can say with 100% certainty that they are free of allergies, you can take all the precautions you like, but if your in an environment that handles these food stuffs, you will never be truly gluten free etc.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

HomeBrewWest

October 24, 2016, 08:57:19 PM #490 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:09:50 PM by HomeBrewWest
Afaik < 20 ppm is legally gluten free. EU (EC 41/2009) acknowledges two categories for labeling absence of gluten in consumer products
• < 100 ppm gluten in final consumer product: label as very low gluten content
• < 20 ppm gluten in final consumer product: label as gluten free

In any event, with 3 Kg in 20 litres of beer, it then becomes < 3 ppm in the final consumer product.  I'm no expert in these matters though and am relying on the manufacturer data. It is certified and each batch is tested. Here is some more data from the promo literature:

• Glutenfree malt extract containing less than 20 ppm of gluten
• In terms of colour and taste, there is no difference between gluten-free and traditional malt extracts

Coeliac disease is an immune-mediated disorder of the small intestine
• Triggered by exposure to gluten
• Symptoms include chronic diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal distention
• Only effective treatment is life-long gluten free diet
• Prevalence in Europe typically 0.4-0.7%

Non-coeliac gluten intolerance
• Recently identified syndrome, in which patients are sensitive to gluten without the actual coeliac disease
• Prevalence highly variable in different populations, estimated to be around 1 – 6 %*

Non medical reasons for avoiding gluten
• Gluten free is one of the strongest consumer trends
• Gluten free is associated with safety and healthiness
• > 15 % of consumers look for gluten free products for reasons other than gluten intolerance
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

irish_goat

I think if you're making beers using the gluten free extract you're only really likely to be giving the beer to a partner or close friend/family member who is gluten intolerant. So they can judge themselves how they get on with it. At the end of the day though, if you present the facts that HBW have listed above it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to try the beer.

HomeBrewWest

Some interesting new product announcements from Speidel, including smart phone control of both mashing and also fermentation. The fermentation app even displays fermentation activity by counting the number of blops that your airlock makes as it releases CO2 . . . not for ordinary fermenters/airlocks, this technology will only work reliably with Speidel versions.

I'll post links etc. when i get them all up on the site.

Flanagan

Do ye get liquid yeasts at all anymore? They are all out of stock on the website.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Flanagan on October 26, 2016, 09:24:37 PM
Do ye get liquid yeasts at all anymore? They are all out of stock on the website.
Apologies for the delay on these. Will order them this weekend. Any particular ones?