• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 11:51:41 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

What after market pump would work as a spare.

I would like to have one around, just in case loike.

darren996

Quote from: Motorbikeman on November 16, 2016, 11:08:37 PM
What after market pump would work as a spare.

I would like to have one around, just in case loike.
Topsflo Ts5 is a good 12v pump, has impellers so stray grains won't block it.
The pumps that bridgewater brewing sell are good as well but clog very easily, don't attempt to run it without a basoka screen, but are a good choice for the bulldog.

HomeBrewWest

Bulldog Brewer Hop Boiling . . . Revisited
Take the malt pipe out or use it as a hop blocker?

After talking to customers and you guys, I'm going to do a u-turn on this one . . . I'm now recommending that you remove the malt pipe. Use muslin bags instead and / or a hop filter.

I'm going to get on to Bulldog to see what they advise, now that hundreds of these have been in use for a while.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

auralabuse

Yep, have to agree with that assumption.

Damofto

I agree also, it just doesn't function properly with it in.

HomeBrewWest

Speidel News
See their website for lots of new and updated products:
https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/

See the products section:
http://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/

We are the only Irish company who can bring you all of these products. And fully guaranteed, at German RRPs. To calculate the Irish price, divide the Speidel price by 1.19 to remove the German VAT and then multiply by 1.23 to add the Irish VAT. Or just multiply the German price by 1.034.

Next is the shipping cost. For orders over Euro 1000, we will ship for free from Germany to your doorstep (fully insured). For smaller orders, get in touch and we will charge shipping at cost (its typically 40 to 65 Euros for small stuff).

Any interest in the small Speidel fermenters: These guys:
https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/Accessories/Fermenting/30-litre-fermenting-vessel?action_ms=1
and
https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/Accessories/Fermenting/60-litre-fermenting-vessel?action_ms=1
The problem with them is the high shipping cost. But if we can get enough in a single order, we could get close to RRPs. We'd need a couple of hundred to match the German prices.

Finally, as the official Speidel agents in Ireland, we can bring you full Speidel microbrewery solutions. If you buy a 10 / 20 / 50 litre Braumeister from us, and then decide to go pro, we will give you a Euro 1000 discount on the larger 200 or 500 litre systems. We are the only company in Ireland that can supply and support these amazing systems.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

Bulldog Brewers Arrived
We have a few left. I'll have to remove pre-book offer later tonight so price will increase.

Partridge9

Brian

On the Spiedel accessories ...

I have bought a few of them from you and England before homebrew shops in Ireland.

The Chiller is Brilliant !
The Thermal Sleeve is good
The Hop Sieve is terrible - waste of time
The cleaning kit is great for that Blue Brush ! (ok 53 euro for a brush is a little high)
I have never got around to using the Hydrometer - its a mad yoke
The Malt Shovel is great
The Fermenters 30l - are not graduated and the rubber seal is terrible - also not a fan of the massive air locks
But the plastic is really good - I use it for RO water now.
The Hand mill is .. well as you expect - pants.
The Metal hood is deadly - a must have.

johnrm

Leann ull

It's "telegraph review time" my favourite type, straight in no kissing no bullshit.

HomeBrewWest

Actually, its nice to get some honest straight talking feedback.

Not sure about the hop sieve . . . . which one? I think the Speidel one is for leaf/cones. Too coarse for pellets.

Ya, the brush is expensive . . . but its great for cleaning the pump etc. The hydrometer is a bit more accurate than the run of the mill HBS ones, we have much more accurate ones that are UK revenue approved if you ever need one.

The 30 litre Speidel Fermenters; ya, you would have to calibrate them. If we sell enough if them we might print a graduation label for them. Rubber seal is terrible . . . . hmm, first we heard of this . . . does it not seal, or is it just a bit awkward to use?
But the plastic is really good - I hope so at the price; generally all Speidel stuff is top notch.

Except the hand mill!!! I'd defo swap it out for a Bulldog mill. Really no point in getting the Ferrari of brewing systems just to screw up your beer with poorly crushed grain. Makes no sense.

The Metal hood is deadly - a must have . . . . why? Looks cool? Or is it also functional somehow?

Thanks again for the feedback, I will relay the key points to Speidel.

HomeBrewWest

Black Friday 10% Off
All of our customers should have got an email with the discount code, but our web guys had issues with targeted DDNS attacks again today so not sure all the emails got out.

If you didn't get the code, PM me you email address to add to our mailing list, and I'll email you the code. Great time to get top notch equipment as the discount applies to everything on the site.

Will_D

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on November 25, 2016, 08:19:46 PM
Rubber seal is terrible . . . . hmm, first we heard of this . . . does it not seal, or is it just a bit awkward to use?

I also have issues with the big o-ring, its neither silicon or nitrile. Its a pale cream colour that has been heat welded into a circle and is very prone to black mould as its surface texture is very rough.

I have asked several times for replacements.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

HomeBrewWest

We don't have those replacements in stock. They have to come from Germany. We have some fermenters on the way. Pm me your original order number or email address and what you need, and I'll see what we can do. We are stocking other Speidel spares already.

johnrm

The hood has multiple uses.
https://goo.gl/EVXeRD
1. Use it as a hopper to fill the malt pipe.
2. Use it to secure a 100mm pipe fo rsteam extraction.
3. Ensures the headspace retains steam for Increased energy efficiency.
4. Allows volatiles to escape (DMS Precursors).

The filter is just for Leaf - I find it works well.
https://goo.gl/oYjgLx

I have 1 Speidel Fermenter - Just used it once.
The Airlock is definitely the Duplo of Airlocks!
No issues with mold here that I have noticed.