• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 11:35:35 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Brown Ale

wasn't close to that at all CH, it was just kind of sitting there doing nothing

I have one of these lads that I used to BIAB in, and still use to get my sparge water up to temp, and when I put the wort in there, it got up to a boil as above, I left it for an hour and lost ~4 litres as anticipated.

The last time I brewed on the 'Dog, it was similar to that, that kind of boil and ~4l lost.

I suppose I need to test the elements really before anything else. However, on the last brew I used both elements (2,500w to get to the boil) then the large element (1,700w) to maintain.

This  was on both elements the whole hour, and it was as still as anything, and the temp display never really going above 99 (I always set it to 101).

Leann ull

Bugger, sounds like one of the elements has gone put a couple of litres in the bottom and check em out I guess?

HomeBrewWest

A quick google yields:
2258.33 kJ to evaporate 1 litre of water, or 0.627 KWh
This a 2.5 Kw element would evaporate about 4 litres in one hour. So sounds spot on (assuming my maths are correct).

I think a temperature reading of 99 oC can throw a lot of brewers, but water boils at different temperatures depending on the weather (atmospheric pressure). So its only 100 oC at 1000 mbar. Pressure can vary between 950 (low pressure) and 1050 (high pressure). 99 oC corresponds to about 978 mbar which is quite typical here. Pressure also drops significantly with altitude.

So as long as you are boiling off a few litres over an hour, all should be well.

Hope this helps.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

TonyC

Quote from: Beechlawn Brewing on January 24, 2017, 11:28:08 AM
Just ordered the spare plate, nice one.

Have had a few issues getting  to a rolling boil, last Saturday it never got properly going even with the grain tube removed. This was indoors in the warm, not out in the freezing cold.

It messed up my efficiency as I didn't lose as much to the boil as I'd expected. Had it lash it into my old boiler for another hour.

Any advice?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
There is a Facebook group setup for bulldog brewers. Might be worth your while checking it out.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Dr Brown Ale

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on January 24, 2017, 08:17:00 PM
A quick google yields:
2258.33 kJ to evaporate 1 litre of water, or 0.627 KWh
This a 2.5 Kw element would evaporate about 4 litres in one hour. So sounds spot on (assuming my maths are correct).

I think a temperature reading of 99 oC can throw a lot of brewers, but water boils at different temperatures depending on the weather (atmospheric pressure). So its only 100 oC at 1000 mbar. Pressure can vary between 950 (low pressure) and 1050 (high pressure). 99 oC corresponds to about 978 mbar which is quite typical here. Pressure also drops significantly with altitude.

So as long as you are boiling off a few litres over an hour, all should be well.

Hope this helps.

Well you see, the problem is the 'Dog didn't lose the volume, it wasn't until I transferred the wort into the old Brewferm and boiled that for another hour did I lose anything close to 4 litres (obviously I lose SOME volume when using the 'Dog for an hour, there was steam coming off the top, but the wort was not moving at all, just sitting there.)

HomeBrewWest

Ok. Need to check the elements. I'll pm you a 10 minute test.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

SkiBeagle

Might not be that much of a problem. The Dog is tall and has a small footprint - less surface area. I've installed my own ghetto controller with an SSR which lets me dial in the exact power I want, and I can get a nice rolling boil with about 800W. Give or take, depending on atmospheric pressure as Brian correctly points out. Up to about 1800W for a much more aggressive boil.

A lot depends on whether you have the lid on or not. That will modify the power required and the volume change over the course of the boil.

It's possible that you have the 2 elements swap-wired. Easy to test with a litre or 2 of water.

However!
I found that it is easy to misinterpret the original controller. Best way to ensure that you are getting the correct element selection, is to turn it off at the mains, then on, then select the power. Then activate the boil. Just measure the duration (in seconds) and the temperature change (in degrees) , and we can tell exactly how much power is being expended. I found that I was misinterpreting how the controller works first few times I used it.

For reference, 5L or 20ÂșC water should boil after 11.2 minutes of max power (2500W). So if it's not bubblin' after 12 minutes, call the Department of Homebrewing, Lighthouses and Inaugural Crowd Assessment.

Leann ull

Just ordered some Vermont Ale Yeast there as only HBS left with it in the country, there must be an absolute bucket of NEIPAs at this years Nationals ???

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: CH on January 26, 2017, 02:20:18 PM
Just ordered some Vermont Ale Yeast there as only HBS left with it in the country, there must be an absolute bucket of NEIPAs at this years Nationals ???
Still have a few left, they only came in a week or two ago.

We have 2 row Colorado American grain too, but some Vermont IPA recipes seem to use UK Marris Otter . . . ?

BigDanny84

Just ready to pull the trigger on the mill and it seems to be out of stock :(

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: BigDanny84 on January 27, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Hi Danny,
They flew out. We sold them at a mad price because we committed to buy them in volume when they first launched. Normal price for that deal would be over 50% more.

But we're talking to Bulldog to see if we can get another good deal for Ireland in the coming weeks. 

Leann ull

Quote from: CH on January 26, 2017, 02:20:18 PM

Got it this morning

BigDanny84

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on January 27, 2017, 05:55:23 PM
Quote from: BigDanny84 on January 27, 2017, 11:58:38 AM
Hi Danny,
They flew out. We sold them at a mad price because we committed to buy them in volume when they first launched. Normal price for that deal would be over 50% more.

But we're talking to Bulldog to see if we can get another good deal for Ireland in the coming weeks.

No worries I fully understand, just disappointed to miss out, my own fault.

HomeBrewWest

Let me check to see if we have any left, if we do . . . I'll do something for you.