• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:15:59 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

No carbs!

Started by jackflash, September 22, 2015, 08:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

Made a blonde about 5 weeks ago, think I got infection so racked it after secondary and left for a few days. Bottled two weeks ago, but still no carbonation.

LordEoin

odd. you sure the bottles are warm enough?

Bubbles

Did you add priming sugar? Sorry, had to ask! I've racked beers to the bottling bucket in the past and forgot to add the priming sugar first.

Chances are the bottles need to be moved to a warmer spot to let them condition. Give each one a little shake first.

What infection? Why did you bottle a beer you thought was infected?

jackflash

Priming sugar, yes. Enough to carb 23l. It's in the usual spot aswell. Haven't tried shaking though, will try that. Regarding the infection, there was what looked like a lacto infection starting on the top, so I racked off from secondary to a third vessel for a few days. No funky smell. And it tasted grand so why not bottle?

Bubbles

Could be hop oils or even residual yeast on top.

Big beers will take longer to carb, what was your OG?

jackflash

Quote from: Bubbles on September 22, 2015, 10:01:54 PM

Og was 1.05 so nothing major.

johnrm

Taste one. Is it sweet at this point?

Bubbles

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2015, 08:27:05 AM
Quote from: Bubbles on September 22, 2015, 10:01:54 PM

Og was 1.05 so nothing major.

Hmm. Can't be that, then.

So there's no hiss at all when you open the bottle?

jackflash

It's sweet alright, carb sugar still present. Slightest of slight hiss when I open. Shook all of the bottles tonight. I'll wait a few more days!

Bubbles

If there's a slight hiss that means there is residual yeast eating up the priming sugar.

I'd say a bit more patience will finish the job.

jackflash

Bubbles, I thank you sir! The thoughts of opening 40 bottles of hard earned beer and spilling it out kills me :-D

Bubbles

Well let's not get too excited yet!

There's certainly something working on the yeast. It's more than likely the residual yeast you want to convert your priming sugar. But given your first post, if there is an infection, it's also possible that there might be some bugs in there. The bugs will work more slowly than brewers yeast.

Bubbles

Leave the bottles in a warmish spot for another week, then into the fridge for a couple of days. Open one and test.

I've had issues with bottle conditioning before myself, but the issue have been with pretty big beers. Regardless of the OG though, patience is the key.