• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:38:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Need help with "Step Mash"

Started by Rats, May 13, 2015, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rats

My recipe ask for the following:

"All-Grain Method: Mash 7.75 lb. (3.5 kg) German 2-row Pilsner malt, 1.5 lb. (0.68 kg) flaked
maize, and 1 lb. (0.45 kg) rice hulls with the specialty grains at 122°F (50°C) for 30 minutes
and at 150°F (65.5°C) for 60 minutes. Add 3.8 HBU (24% less than the extract recipe) of the
bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. Add the flavor hops and Irish moss for the last 15
minutes of the boil and the aroma hops for the last 2 minutes."

I use a converted cooler box as my mash tun.How do I do the step mash or are there an alternative temp I can do?
Thanks in advance  ;)
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

robotmonkey

You can mash at 50C for 30 minutes and then add boiling water to bring the temperature up to 65.5C for the remaining 60. This calculator might help http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Simon_

This calculator works out the different infusions of boiling water you need to bring you to each rest

http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

Rats

Thanks for the quick reply.
I forgot to mention that I'm having trouble finding "rice hulls" can I use "Oat Husks" instead.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

robotmonkey

I've bought them from here before http://www.brewuk.co.uk/hulls-malt-250g.html but imagine oat husks would do the same job

LordEoin

if you have a large pot you can also drain to there, heat it a few degrees above the next step and stir back in. i believe beersmith has a tool for it.

DEMPSEY

Doing a step up mash as I write for the Liffey Barrel and I use Beersmith. When you do the mash schedule I picked the double infusion as my mash and it works out the water editions. Did what was asked and its bang on. Started at 50C and 32 minutes step upped to 66C  :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Garry

Quote from: Rats on May 13, 2015, 11:31:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I forgot to mention that I'm having trouble finding "rice hulls" can I use "Oat Husks" instead.

Yes, oat husks do the same job. HBC have them in stock.

irish_goat

They're also handy for holding mash temperature more constant if you don't mind paying the extra euro expense per brew.

Hop Bomb

I always skip the water infusion step for mash out. I run off the required amount of wort from the mash & boil that instead before adding back to hit mash out temp.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

imark

Quote from: Hop Bomb on May 13, 2015, 08:25:11 PM
I always skip the water infusion step for mash out. I run off the required amount of wort from the mash & boil that instead before adding back to hit mash out temp.
Why do you do it that way?

Leann ull

Yep I'm curious too a I would be afraid of tannins on a full drain out using boiled wort?