• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 12:40:57 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2017 Category 18: Pale American Ale - Gold Medal

Started by mick02, March 13, 2017, 10:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

Quote from: CH on March 16, 2017, 05:20:45 PM
Lads your not going to score higher than that other than with fresher hops, well done Mick top of the class!
Cheers CH. Yeah it was a pretty flawless beer. Like you said maybe fresher ingredients might have eeked out a few more points but I was pretty happy with that result.

As Thomas mentioned in an earlier post "You're really working on the finer details there though"
NHC Committee member

irish_goat

Quote from: Ciaran on March 13, 2017, 04:40:38 PM
Good to know, an excellent beer it is too.   I follow a couple of the lads from Yellowbelly there but I don't think I can private message unless they're following back unfortunately.

Quick reply from Declan.

QuoteRough and ready its 75%pils 15%munich 10%wheat. All castle maltings and bitterness kept super low. Double infusion mash. 50 then up to 65. Dry hopped @ 4.5g/l citra for 4/5 days @15°

Ciaran

Quote from: irish_goat on March 23, 2017, 09:27:17 AM
QuoteRough and ready its 75%pils 15%munich 10%wheat. All castle maltings and bitterness kept super low. Double infusion mash. 50 then up to 65. Dry hopped @ 4.5g/l citra for 4/5 days @15°

Aha, I wasn't barking up the wrong tree after all :)  You know what this means, now I'm going to have to this and brew mick's to compare them.  Thanks for the post!!

RobShamrock

Hey Mick, love sound of this receipe those hops in pellet or leaf - guessing pellet, new to all grain,

Ta

mick02

Hey Rob, yeah all pellet. It was a tasty beer in fairness.
NHC Committee member

RobShamrock

Ta, have a stout ingredients to hand to do, but gonna order up this for a run mid may something tasty for the good weather :)

RobShamrock

Hey Mick, this brew is well on the way just transferred to 2nd, had a sip, very promising be bottling up on sunday ( this only my second all grain)

mick02

Quote from: RobShamrock on May 17, 2017, 09:01:44 AM
Hey Mick, this brew is well on the way just transferred to 2nd, had a sip, very promising be bottling up on sunday ( this only my second all grain)

Nice one Rob! Let me know when it's done. I'm interested to hear how it turns out.
NHC Committee member

RobShamrock

Hey Mick, cracked one of these last night only about 10 days in bottle yeast hasnt fully compacted yet and I got some chill haze but my fridge might be turned up a bit high but an absolute beauty of a beer  only my 2nd all grain and very chuffed with result

they wont be lasting long, I better get brewing soon !!   many thanks for sharing

mick02

Quote from: RobShamrock on June 02, 2017, 09:12:25 AM
Hey Mick, cracked one of these last night only about 10 days in bottle yeast hasnt fully compacted yet and I got some chill haze but my fridge might be turned up a bit high but an absolute beauty of a beer  only my 2nd all grain and very chuffed with result

they wont be lasting long, I better get brewing soon !!   many thanks for sharing
Thanks for letting me know how you got on. Glad it turned out well for you. Good luck with the second batch!
NHC Committee member

FlimFlamFlo

This looks great, thanks for sharing it and congratulations on the win :-)

I'm going to brew this tomorrow and have a question on the dry hopping - how far out from bottling did you do this?

Thanks again,
Flim

JDC

Hey Mick, just to echo all that has been said already - Congrats on the Gold, and thanks for sharing the recipe.

I brewed this yesterday, the only difference being that I used the American West B5 Yeast (the one from HBW at BrewCon).  Went into the fermentor at 1.060, so looking forward to trying in a few weeks' time.  I'll report back how it goes.

Cheers,
JDC
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

mick02

Quote from: FlimFlamFlo on September 04, 2017, 01:04:27 PM
This looks great, thanks for sharing it and congratulations on the win :-)

I'm going to brew this tomorrow and have a question on the dry hopping - how far out from bottling did you do this?

Thanks again,
Flim

Thanks for the congrats,

Re the dry hopping. I dry hopped this once I reached FG. I just added the hops to the fermenter for 4 days before transferring to a keg and cold crashing.

HTH,

Mick
NHC Committee member

mick02

Quote from: JDC123 on September 04, 2017, 01:59:05 PM
Hey Mick, just to echo all that has been said already - Congrats on the Gold, and thanks for sharing the recipe.

I brewed this yesterday, the only difference being that I used the American West B5 Yeast (the one from HBW at BrewCon).  Went into the fermentor at 1.060, so looking forward to trying in a few weeks' time.  I'll report back how it goes.

Cheers,
JDC

Cheers JDC, I'll be interesting to see how it finishes up for you.
NHC Committee member

FlimFlamFlo

Nice one, thanks again for sharing - I'm really looking forward to this one.