• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

110L Oxygen tank & 0.5 lpm regulator:

Started by Hop Bomb, June 14, 2013, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Ive been mailing the manager in SciChem in Cork today. Nice helpful fellow. They are up for doing a discount for the club on a group buy. He is waiting on some info from his supplier so it'll be next week before I have prices. From Dr.Jacoby mailing them before I know the price for 1 tank was 85e & the regulator was 50e approx. We'll get a better rate than that with a group buy discount obviously.

He also mentioned they have a 100% plant based line cleaner which works better than traditional line cleaners (i think someone may have got some on here already)

For now Im just gauging interest for a potential group buy on the oxygen & regulators. If you think you might want to buy a tank & regulator stick your name below.

1. Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Tom,

Please see attached quote for calibration Oxygen,
Prices attached are based on purchasing 1 bottle at time,
I can give a 5% discount for 5 to 10 bottles
I can give a 10% discount for 10 or more bottles,

Prices are ex VAT. He said if there is only the three of us he'll still give us the 5% discount. Im just waiting on
some info on the cheaper regulator to see if you can read what lpm you are pumping oxygen at as the fixed flow reg is a bit pricey.

It seems pricey but for 110 litres of O2 its very cheap in comparison to the rental free welders O2 available here.

Dr Jacoby

I'd imagine we might need a flow meter to gauge the flow rate through the cheaper regulator. Something like this maybe.

It's a pity the fixed flow regulators are so expensive. I've tried finding cheaper ones before but no luck.

The 110L disposable tank would do roughly 100 x 20 litre batches. That would see me through 5 or more years of brewing I reckon. €143 + VAT starts to sound more reasonable in that context. 
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Im still waiting on Frank to get back to me about gauging the flow on the cheap regs. That link looks like it might do the job alright.
I agree - 100 batches for 143 + vat & the comfort of knowing your oxygenation is perfect. One less thing to nerd out about :) 

snapscrackle

Have you already bought? I would be interested also.

mcgrath

1. Hop Bomb
2. Dr Jacoby
3. Blackbrew
4. McGrath

Rossa

Hop Bomb

Frank still hasnt responded to my emails re: the regulator. He has read them. I know this as Ive got an app in my gmail to tell me if my sent mails have been opened or not. I called his office & he is on the road. I rang his mobile there & left a message. Just waiting on a call back.

Im defo buying the 110L tank. Not for 3-4 weeks though. Might try ebay for the regulator if scichem cant give me a straight answer.

Metattron

In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Hop Bomb

No not the same. They have those oxy turbo kits & refills in my local plumb shop. 150e all in & the bottles are tiny.
These 110L tanks are the same price & would do 100 brews. Getting the correct regulator is the issue (still no contact from Frank at scichem) as you want full control so you can aerate with the perfect amount of oxygen.

This site shows pics & stats of the regulators SciChem are selling. looking closely at the pics in the catalogue I have here & looking at the website it looks like the cheaper regulators have a flow control sight glass with a ball/bubble in it to show you your lpm. 

http://www.brandtinst.com/Gasco/Gasco_Regulator_Photos-&-Descriptions.html

edit:  Didnt see that they were 110L. Great find Mettatron! Will have to rethink this now.

Ciderhead

I got those Oxybottles in the north for just under 20stg each with a reg that also cost 20.
There is a litre of liquid oxygen in them and I calculated that I will get 30-40 brews from it.
I used it for 2 mins on an RIS and 75 seconds for a pale and no sign of it being empty, I will weigh it the next time.
I subsequently found out last week the agents down here are;
http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/ who have no shop just an online service.
I pinged them an email a couple of days ago and will post back as to what their costs are.
I am also looking for the inline filter membrane but can only see them in the US, its probably an overkill tbh and nothing will really grow in pore O2

Hop Bomb

Thanks to Mettatrons golden link it looks like a bulk buy of these will have everyone 110L of oxygen for half the price nearly. 

There is a discount if we buy 3 or more of these which brings the price per kit down by 20 sterling to 79.99 (before shipping)

The kit includes the regulator, face mask & tubing. You can just take the mask off & add your aeration stone to the end. You could buy a cheapo flow meter to put inline from ebay.

Is it time for a new list?

1. Hop_Bomb:  1 x  OXYFIT - Oxygen in a can (110 Litres) with valve and mask

Shane Phelan

I have to say at that new price its very tempting.

*goes off to research oxygen
Brew Log