• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:58:27 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

My first brew - Have I messed it up?

Started by thechevron, February 15, 2016, 09:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie71

Back in that cupboard for 2 weeks up around fermentation temps, keeping those see through bottles covered and away from sunlight. Then another two weeks chilling in the shed should do it.  Try one after a week in the shed but it won't be at its best.

So now you have an empty fermenter. What's next? Keep them rolling and the wait won't be as long next time!! 

thechevron

I have a cider to try. I'll get it on the weekend  ;D

Drzava

Good job! I'd suggest a month - but if you last longer than a week I'd be surprised!

pob

Quote from: thechevron on March 07, 2016, 10:57:45 PM
First brew bottled. Took me fookin ages between batch priming and stick filling.

Hope it's worth it.. How long before I crack one open?

As above, leave it for a month, it'll be carbonated after 2 weeks but won't taste anymore than young fizzy beer; the further 2 weeks turns it into tasty beer.

Recommendation for next bottling session:
1. Ditch the clear & green glass (it'll 'skunk/light strike' the beer in daylight - the UV light reacts with the hops*)
2. Fill your bottles more, half way between where you have filled them & the top, 2 finges width.

Now get your next brew on, pitch yeast & keep at constant temp & dont look at it for 2 weeks. :)

* Skunked Beer - What does light-struck mean?

This is when the beer has been exposed to ultraviolet light for a period of time. Hop-derived molecules, called isohumulones, are basically ripped apart. Some of these parts bind with sulfur atoms to create that 'skunk' character, which is similar in character to a skunk's natural defense and is such a potent compound that parts-per-trillion can be detected and even ruin a beer.

Although brown bottles aid in protecting beer from being light-struck, it hardly makes the beer invincible.

Green or clear bottles provide little to no protection. And it's been said that bottled beer can become light-struck in less than one minute in bright sun, after a few hours in diffuse daylight, and in a few days under normal fluorescent lighting.

thechevron

Quote from: pob on March 08, 2016, 09:45:13 AM
Quote from: thechevron on March 07, 2016, 10:57:45 PM
First brew bottled. Took me fookin ages between batch priming and stick filling.

Hope it's worth it.. How long before I crack one open?

As above, leave it for a month, it'll be carbonated after 2 weeks but won't taste anymore than young fizzy beer; the further 2 weeks turns it into tasty beer.

Recommendation for next bottling session:
1. Ditch the clear & green glass (it'll 'skunk/light strike' the beer in daylight - the UV light reacts with the hops*)
2. Fill your bottles more, half way between where you have filled them & the top, 2 finges width.

Now get your next brew on, pitch yeast & keep at constant temp & dont look at it for 2 weeks. :)

* Skunked Beer - What does light-struck mean?

This is when the beer has been exposed to ultraviolet light for a period of time. Hop-derived molecules, called isohumulones, are basically ripped apart. Some of these parts bind with sulfur atoms to create that 'skunk' character, which is similar in character to a skunk's natural defense and is such a potent compound that parts-per-trillion can be detected and even ruin a beer.

Although brown bottles aid in protecting beer from being light-struck, it hardly makes the beer invincible.

Green or clear bottles provide little to no protection. And it's been said that bottled beer can become light-struck in less than one minute in bright sun, after a few hours in diffuse daylight, and in a few days under normal fluorescent lighting.

Thanks for the info. They are all in a dark cupboard under the stairs. Ill get the white ones in some bags just to make sure.

thechevron

Bottled one week today. Stored in a closet at 18 degrees all week.

Should I sample?

pob

No, leave for another 3 weeks & it'll be ready.

It'll only be fizzy in another week, needs the following 2 to condition/mature.

If you try a sneaky one now, the bottle fairies will jinx them

(Maturing & conditioning beer in a 500ml bottle is a totally different process & timeframe than in a commercial 1000L bright tank)

craiclad

Just a word for next time, those bottles all look slightly underfilled. Next time around you should fill them to the lip of the bottle then pull the bottle dow to stop the flow. Bottle wand takes up space in the bottle that you have to account for.

thechevron

Quote from: craiclad on March 15, 2016, 10:27:44 PM
Just a word for next time, those bottles all look slightly underfilled. Next time around you should fill them to the lip of the bottle then pull the bottle dow to stop the flow. Bottle wand takes up space in the bottle that you have to account for.

Yeah, the instructions said leave 5cm at the top of the bottle. I probably over compensated. What will this mean to the finished beer?

craiclad

Probably not a whole lot! I would thing that the beer will carbonate better and oxygenate less with less headspace though.

thechevron

So after 2 weeks in the bottle I decided to open a small 330ml bottle last night just to see how it was progressing. It was absolutely gorgeous. Poured lovely and kept the head all the way to the bottom of a half pint glass.

Ill leave it alone now for another few weeks.

Drzava

Success! And they'll only get better from here on!