• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:18 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Flat Stout

Started by Jamesbil, March 07, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesbil

I have an Irish stout on which I figured was a bit quick to stop fermenting. I gave it a whirl and it bubbled on top again so I left it to it for an other 10 days.
There seemed to be a slight fizz in it when I transferred it to the King Keg with some sugar.
A week later and it is totally flat.

What can I do?
Can someone post a pic of a s30 valve?

I have a larger in a keg too, have had about 6 pints, there was great pressure for the first few, now none at all.
Tips welcome..

LordEoin

the seals on those king kegs can be a bit dodge. seal any rubbers with some vaseline.
I'm not sure how you deal with the pressure dropping from emptying some beer though. I know some people have a valve in the cap to attach gas.

googled S30 valve and that's the one:
http://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/downloads/dl/file/id/57/product/1672/love_brewing_s30_valve_instructions.pdf

there's also a lot on youtube about them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4bkkrE2zEU&ebc=ANyPxKpFZIOuJz7YAJ33-2Xht_sncUwAi3j3MyeeYxhCtsgQy0_yiauwELSKBfjzCOaCIGRzbzpsoVIyucR1wJYIDeQaIYit0Q

neoanto

Those kegs are really for cask ale style beer.
I ran into the same issues when i started brewing.
I picked one of these up and was wondering what the story was.

There is a lot of Co2 in it at the start, but as you empty the keg there is more space in the keg for the Co2 to go so it doesnt stay in the liquid.

Using the Co2 bulbs will only prevent your being from oxidised and help in dispensing it.

What you're really looking for is a cornelius keg that alot of the lads here use.

Jamesbil

Yeah I was all set up to go down the corny route but I had an expensive few weeks so it was put on hold.
Everything that can break broke.. car, van, boiler, saws.. even the wheelbarrow!!

Richie71

Sounds like you need a beer James. I can stick it in a corny and gas it up for you if you like. Just drop back the keg when you're done.

Will_D

Quote from: Richie71 on March 16, 2016, 01:48:01 PM
Sounds like you need a beer James. I can stick it in a corny and gas it up for you if you like. Just drop back the keg when you're done.
Now this sort of thing makes me realise why the NHC is the EFFIN' BESTEST club/forum in the whole wide world.

More power to you Richie71
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Jamesbil

Quote from: Will_D on March 16, 2016, 08:07:35 PM
Quote from: Richie71 on March 16, 2016, 01:48:01 PM
Now this sort of thing makes me realise why the NHC is the EFFIN' BESTEST club/forum in the whole wide world.

More power to you Richie71
Thanks Richie,  that's a lovely offer. I'm away at the moment  so ill let you know when Im back.

Leann ull

March 17, 2016, 03:14:09 PM #7 Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:39:11 PM by CH
Your stout would be ok for a couple of weeks with a co2 head on it