• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 10:23:20 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Craft Range IPA

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), May 30, 2014, 11:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraich

Hi guys,

I mentioned in another thread that this review inspired me to put on the Craft IPA.

I've had it in primary (under the stairs... that's where the brewery is...) since about 2pm Saturday.  As mentioned by many others before; it smells lovely. The current weather is brilliant too - it's sitting between 20 and 22o

But a first for me is that on the 7th day, the bubbler is still bubbling regularly, and strongly.  I'm talking about every 5 to 10 seconds.  I can't wait to hop it on Saturday (and have an early sample)

Cheers!

fishjam45 (Colin)

Have you taken any gravity readings?
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Padraich

OG was 1054.  Haven't opened the FV since, but I'll take a sample when I'm hopping tomorrow.

bantamflush

I've had this bottled for a week - impatience got the better of me and I cracked one open.

OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008

It obviously needs more time in the bottle but I'm very happy with the flavours already. Very fruity.

LordEoin

Welcome bantamflush!
now the hard part... waiting a few weeks with a taste for it  ;D

Padraich

July 20, 2014, 11:08:21 AM #20 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:38:37 AM by Padraich
Quote from: fishjam45 on July 18, 2014, 11:15:24 AM
Have you taken any gravity readings?

Hi all,

I hopped the Craft IPA batch yesterday. Those hop pellets smell amazing. Talk about the essence of American IPA!

Took the sg too. Now down to 1013. Had a look this morning and the bubbler is still tipping along albeit more slowly.

Can't wait for the finished product

:)

fishjam45 (Colin)

As I write this post I'm sitting in the garden enjoying the evening and sipping on my Craft Range IPA, sunny evenings and lovely IPA'S are made for each other.

I think its proably time to finish up this review as its been in the bottle for nearly six weeks and it is very, very drinkable now.  If anything the aroma from the dry hopping may be fading a little.
I brought some of it to the Garden County Brewers meet last week and we all sampled it there too.  Everybody was pleased with it and I was very happy with that.
We all agreed though that the instructions could be made a little clearer for future batches.  For example, write a specific set of instructions for each beer available in the range especially with regards to the mention of "pouches" in the IPA instructions considering there is only one pouch supplied.

In summary, did I like this kit? Yes.  Do I enjoy drinking it? Yes. Did everyone else that tasted it like it? Yes.  Will I be buying other kits from this range in the future? Yes.
Big thumbs on the yeast used in this kit, definitely a fan of the compact yeast cake it forms at the bottom of the bottle.  It would be nice to be able to buy the yeast by itself too, if it were ever made available?

Slightly off point, but I got to sample the Wheat Beer from the Craft Range last week and I really liked it.  The was a gorgeous clove taste from it, really good.

Once again big thanks to LordEoin and HBW for allowing and selecting me to do this review.  Cheers!!!

Garden County Brewers

AJ_Rowley

Do you have those glasses imported from Sweden ;)

bantamflush

Quote from: LordEoin on July 18, 2014, 03:36:35 PM
Welcome bantamflush!

Cheers! Yes its tough...last night especially. Hard day in work + sweaty weather = beer craving.

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: AJ_Rowley on July 24, 2014, 07:49:30 AM
Do you have those glasses imported from Sweden ;)

Yeah I did, I can hook you up with my supplier if you want?  :D :D :D
Garden County Brewers

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: bantamflush on July 24, 2014, 12:07:40 PM
Quote from: LordEoin on July 18, 2014, 03:36:35 PM
Welcome bantamflush!

Cheers! Yes its tough...last night especially. Hard day in work + sweaty weather = beer craving.

It'll be worth it Bantam!!!
Garden County Brewers

ronanp

Just finished bottling this. Smelled amazing. Now to wait.........

Boabiegringo

Great review, definitely going to give this a bash next- Aroma,Head compact yeast all sounds like a winner to me especially when it includes everything ^-^

_dj_

Picked this kit up a few months ago but only got around to starting it yesterday. One of the nicer smeling kits to make. It's bubbling gently now after 24 hours.

I have a question about the priming sugar. There was a 100g pack supplied with it but the instructions say to add 120g for the IPA kit. What have people who have made it used?

Garry

Welcome to the NHC undersore dj underscore  :P

Brewing sugar is what's recommended but ordinary table sugar works fine for priming.

How many liters have you to bottle? For an IPA I'd expect it to be fizzy; around 2.5 vols. That would be more like 150g of sugar in a 23L batch.

Have a look at this calculator for more info.