• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:39:38 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

European sausages for snacking with beer

Started by delzep, October 13, 2015, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

I've had some superb sausages to snack on with beers in various countries around Europe (cold ones about the length of a pen, usually hanging up behind the bar). Anyone know where I can get them in Dublin and what they might be called? I know its a bit generic but there was no chance of me remembering the names of them when I was away

dcalnan

The only thing that comes to mind are wurst, German sausages. Like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bierwurst

Aldi or lidl would have them.

imark

delzep

Quote from: dcalnan on October 13, 2015, 10:24:15 PM
The only thing that comes to mind are wurst, German sausages. Like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bierwurst

Aldi or lidl would have them.

I'm talking about the raw ones (at least I think they're raw)

like this

dcalnan

Oh that's salami, yeah that's readily available at most supermarkets. I prefer chorizo, yeah it goes really well with beer

delzep

Just salami? Not some weird German name with loads of z's and pf's?

Where can I get some nice stuff...not just supermarket brand stuff

marzen scorsese

The one in lidl is lovely as nice as any I've tasted. Goes well fried then dumped in baked beans and some black pudding

dcalnan

My favourite irish producers are Frank Krawczyk and Gubbeen both from the Schull area. Gubbeen would be easier to buy in Dublin, Sheridans cheesemongers are listed as a retailer as is la rousse foods.

johnrm

phelixoflaherty

Try any decent Polish shop.
The selection and sizes are mind boglin, they might give you a taste before buying.

Bubbles

Quote from: dcalnan on October 13, 2015, 11:20:11 PM
Gubbeen would be easier to buy in Dublin, Sheridans cheesemongers are listed as a retailer as is la rousse foods.

The Avoca shops do the Gubbeen products too, but bring $$$  :)

Bubbles

I had some polish sausages a few years ago that were amazing, massive smoked flavour from them. I'm thinking they'd go lovely with a smoked porter. But unfortunately, they were presented only as "polish sausage".  :(

Anyone know what these might be called?

ronniedeb

Quote from: Bubbles on October 14, 2015, 09:16:12 AM
I had some polish sausages a few years ago that were amazing, massive smoked flavour from them. I'm thinking they'd go lovely with a smoked porter. But unfortunately, they were presented only as "polish sausage".  :(

Anyone know what these might be called?

Kielbasa wędzona?

This is a smoked polish sausage. Not sure it's the one you had. I've only ever used in a Lowcountry Crab Boil, but boy did it make the dish.

Bubbles

Cheers. I've heard of Kielbasa. It could be. These sausages were fairly fat. I might get some and see do they taste familiar.

ronniedeb

Quote from: Bubbles on October 14, 2015, 09:50:09 AM
Cheers. I've heard of Kielbasa. It could be. These sausages were fairly fat. I might get some and see do they taste familiar.

Kielbasa is a general name for sausages, I think, so specify the wedzona bit, though as pronunciation goes I'm clueless.  ;D