• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:09:46 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

European sausages for snacking with beer

Started by delzep, October 13, 2015, 09:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Cool. :)

Some more info here, seems to be a lot of different varieties alright..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielbasa

Jacob

Is it possible that you're looking for 'kabanosy' ?

lordstilton

Are you going to the next liffey meet up delzep? The Polish butcher down my way does a savage selection for five euroseuros.. Plenty in it.. I can bring you a bag

delzep

Quote from: lordstilton on October 14, 2015, 11:29:51 AM
Are you going to the next liffey meet up delzep? The Polish butcher down my way does a savage selection for five euroseuros.. Plenty in it.. I can bring you a bag

If there was one organised I'd know if I was working that day or not  :o

Defo take up that offer though  :-*

Eoin

Quote from: delzep on October 13, 2015, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: dcalnan on October 13, 2015, 10:24:15 PM
The only thing that comes to mind are wurst, German sausages. Like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bierwurst

Aldi or lidl would have them.

I'm talking about the raw ones (at least I think they're raw)

like this

That's just a wurst of some description, my advice would be to go to your local Polish shop, if you have a Netpol, they tend to have a great selection of kielbasa which are very similar to that one that you show, but basically it's an air dried salami.
No special name really, just a dried wurst, there are so many with so many names, that your best best as said is to try a Netpol, they will even let you try samples of any of the ones that you would like to test, our local place chops up lots of samples and my kids love going in there and cleaning the samples out.

molc

When you find the one you like, let us know. Want to try this whole sausage, bread and beer thing :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

delzep

There's a Polonez and Polo Store near me I'll give them a go

ronniedeb

Quote from: delzep on October 13, 2015, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: dcalnan on October 13, 2015, 10:24:15 PM
The only thing that comes to mind are wurst, German sausages. Like this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bierwurst

Aldi or lidl would have them.

I'm talking about the raw ones (at least I think they're raw)

like this

This just looks like a Dried Cured Sausage, like a French Saucisson Sec, or a Spanish or Italian equivalent. For me the Catalonian Fuet Sausage is up there with the best Dried Cured Sausage.

Eoin

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 10:21:47 AM

These things are deadly, like a really good pepperami, my kids go mad for them, I have a bit of a soft spot for them myself.

hopapotamus

Quote from: Eoin on October 15, 2015, 01:44:11 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2015, 10:21:47 AM

These things are deadly, like a really good pepperami, my kids go mad for them, I have a bit of a soft spot for them myself.
they are tasty indeed , lidl do them during their odd polish week , for those not brave enough to go into their local corner polish shop , but polish sausage has to be some of the best iv ever tasted

Beermonger

Someone mentioned kiełbasa wędzona - it just means 'smoked sausage'; it doesn't identify the particular type. Polish sausage types are often named after a place, but in adjective form, so 'krakowska' (=from Kraków) or 'Poznańska' (from Poznań). The word 'kiełbasa' might be omitted. There seem to be thousands of varieties, so find one you like and remember its name ;)

As for the pronunciation of kiełbasa wędzona - it just means 'smoked sausage' so you're not really communicating anything specific by being able to say it. But for the curious, it's 'kyew-basa vendz-ona'.

I'm usually vegetarian, but kabanosy are delicious. Or so I've heard.
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

delzep

Are unsmoked varities less common over here?

hopapotamus

im pretty sure there are unsmoked ones here too , but i just grab a few diffrent ones and try to remember the packageing for next time if they are good ..........as for asking for stuff by name ?... you must be jokeing .....i can barely speak english on a good day

RichC

Lidl do a lovely kabanossi that I eat way too much of

Archsnapper

Here's a photo of - on the right - Kabanossi from Lidl. Like big sausages from the chip shop.  But the other two are Dulano salamis, also from Lidl, and they are vastly superior as nibbles with beer. Cut into thin slices and serve with but not necessarily on top of, crackers. Yummy.