• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:37:19 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cheese Making Kit

Started by garciaBernal, October 22, 2015, 10:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garciaBernal

Has anyone used any of the Mad Millie cheese making kits available on Homebrew West or any experience making cheese and could recommend some starter kit? Homemade cheese with the homemade beer might be nice over the festive period. Cheers.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

Eoin

Quote from: garciaBernal on October 22, 2015, 10:21:38 AM
Has anyone used any of the Mad Millie cheese making kits available on Homebrew West or any experience making cheese and could recommend some starter kit? Homemade cheese with the homemade beer might be nice over the festive period. Cheers.

I don't have it, but the main reason is that I don't have access to raw milk, if you don't either then I'd say you should reconsider, or seek out a source of raw milk.

garciaBernal

Surrounded by dairy farmers where I'm living so the raw milk shouldn't be an issue.
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

bigreddog

Bought from here: http://www.kaese-selber.de/, found to be good quality and shipping wasn't too bad.

LordEoin

I just buy the rennet and make the rest up.
cheese making kits seem to cost a lot more than they're worth

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Eoin on October 22, 2015, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: garciaBernal on October 22, 2015, 10:21:38 AM

I don't have it, but the main reason is that I don't have access to raw milk, if you don't either then I'd say you should reconsider, or seek out a source of raw milk.
Eoin, I think its the homogenization process that you want to avoid. Ideally milk should be pasteurised but not homegenized. There used to be milk like that in Ireland back in the day, but I can't find it these days.

It will work fine with ordinary full fat milk, just not as good.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

dcalnan

We get unhomogenised milk from the farmers market, €1 per litre, and its the nicest milk I've ever had. I'm sure the must be similar offerings at other farmer's markets.

HomeBrewWest

Perfect for cheese making! Must take a look around Galway.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Will_D

Non-homegenised (i.e. Full fat) milk is one thing but is it legal to sell unpasteurised milk?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

dcalnan

Yeah I wondered the same thing when I saw it for sale , they changed the law in 2012 was what I was told. It's really nice as well.

LordEoin

Quote from: Will_D on October 26, 2015, 09:53:14 PM
Non-homegenised (i.e. Full fat) milk is one thing but is it legal to sell unpasteurised milk?
No. Dairy farmers are only allowed to sell raw milk to the creamery/coop

Leann ull

It is legal to sell raw milk although there are still potential dangers with its consumption
http://www.rawmilkireland.com/governments-position.html

I get it from my local dairy farmer who I know personally and he uses a robotic system which still freaks me out watching them but "the girls" seem to like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojnPpvI6-I

but you can buy it at the farm gate
http://www.rawmilkireland.com/where-to-buy-raw-milk.html

LordEoin

Hmm.. my dairy farming neighbor must be telling porkies to avoid selling me raw milk...

Leann ull

He may be worried about product liability :(

LordEoin

maybe a few brews will soften him up  ;D