• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:55:16 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

food to compliment craft beer for hamper

Started by sheilaloughran, December 07, 2015, 10:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheilaloughran

Im in the process of doing up a craft beer hamper for the husband for christmas, it will contain a selection of beers ... just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for food (cheeses, snacks etc) that could be put in with the beers !

Thanks

Will_D

IMHO Gubeen is one of the greatest cheeses of Ireland.

It pairs well with dark beers Stouts/Porters/Dubbels etc.

Also its very clean to handle when cut up into bite sized cubes. Add a couple of crisp apples and away you go. (Ok that was my supper last night!)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Tom

Pork Scratchings! Some Irish suppliers too (Scratch My Pork), which would be the craft scratching market.

irish_goat

What kind of beers you getting? M&S do a nice cheese selection that would cover a wide range of styles. I love stinky blue cheese with dark beers and IPAs. Olives, fancy hams and salamis also work well.

molc

Should get a list of some nice, easy to get salami's up here as well. Also, what sort of breads?

I know I'll be picking up a few once I see them ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Dr Jacoby

Christmas pud with dark strong Belgian ales is a match made in heaven. Also, I'd include some pickles and, if you can manage it closer the time, some pork pies.
Every little helps

Bubbles

I was going to say pork scratchins also. Great accompaniment to an english bitter.

How about a jar of Sierra Nevada mustard? Not easy to find, but I know the Blackrock Cellar stocks it. You could find an online stockist.

How about thinking in terms of a ploughmans lunch? Chutney, pickles, pork pies, cheese, onion jam..

Tom

I'm going to have to drop some hints to the missus.