• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:13:35 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First time smoking meat : need advice

Started by Acott, August 25, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

googoomuck

No, all lined. In your experience how many burns did it take to remove liner? I've done two, but I don't think my fires were big enough. Outside is paint free, inside is patchy. 

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Jacob

Posted already but:

http://www.industrialpackaging.ie/

Combi Drums / Dual UN
Can be supplied plain or lacquered internally

Hop Bomb

One massive fire. Pallet wood to start, any 2x4s I could lay my hands on +  a net of oak logs in on top. Then hit it pretty hard with the wire brush grinder attachment. When the whole thing was put together I did a smoke with no meat on to season it.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Eoin

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 08, 2016, 11:43:49 AM
Anyone any interest in stainless steel new barrels?  If we can get a few im sure a supplier would sell us a few.

I'd be interested, price dependent.

Jacob

Quote from: Eoin on September 08, 2016, 12:14:33 PM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 08, 2016, 11:43:49 AM
Anyone any interest in stainless steel new barrels?  If we can get a few im sure a supplier would sell us a few.

I'd be interested, price dependent.

Me too.

Acott

googoomuck

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 08, 2016, 12:07:45 PM
One massive fire. Pallet wood to start, any 2x4s I could lay my hands on +  a net of oak logs in on top. Then hit it pretty hard with the wire brush grinder attachment. When the whole thing was put together I did a smoke with no meat on to season it.
Had a decent fire with bits of pallets, old garden furniture and a set of headboards off old bunk beds. Definitely will go again with some logs too, it needed something extra. Cheers. 

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hop Bomb

Rang Quitmann O Neill.

300e a piece for tight head stainless steel barrel.

600e a piece for open top clasp lid stainless steel barrel.

34e a piece for mild steel barrel, no liner & waterbased paint job on outside (would burn off easy).

Jacob

Is that one for 34e going to do the job?

Hop Bomb

Yeah they'd be fine. At least you know their virgin barrels, have no liner & werent ex oil drums or something. You would need to prime the outside & spray with high temp paint to stop it from rusting prematurely. It will eventually start to pit & rust though, they all do. Hence the search for an affordable stainless steel barrel.

Few lads on done deal with cheap used barrels that might suit too depending on your location etc.

Hop Bomb

This lad has nice looking drums for 50 pound free p&p to UK postcode - parcel motel job & just pick up at the depot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/205-LITRE-45-GALLON-BRAND-NEW-STEEL-DRUM-BARREL-CONTAINER-FOR-BBQ-SMOKER-/301719679742?var=600553439799&hash=item463fe4f2fe:m:m_tTVkzcJ8cO5U5ROf33Tng

No burn or elbow grease needed. Just drill & fit your hardwear. You'd be smoking 5 hours later

Jacob

September 08, 2016, 03:31:44 PM #72 Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:58:01 PM by Jacob
Nice find!

Edit:

On the second look it does not look as good.
Drum dims are 60x60x90 - 10kg.

ParcelMotel charge is 49e for a parcel that big :(

Eoin

Ok, so back to going to Wexford and buying one for 8 euros then.

Jacob, I'll be going down sometime after payday, If anyone else is interested let me know, I'll check the dimensions in my estate and see how many I can fit in the back, I suspect I'll get between three and four in.