• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:11:43 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Homebrew BBQ team

Started by lordstilton, July 23, 2014, 08:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordstilton

Anyone interested in putting together a team to enter in the big grill BBQ comp http://www.biggrillfestival.com/cook-off-competition.html ?
4 man team, 150 euro entry fee..need to do ribs, brisket, shoulder, chicken and another cut of you choice...I've a webber smokey mountain smoker i'm handy enough with and i'd put my ribs up with anyones, my shoulder is fairly good and i smoke a turkey pretty well too...Anyone interested ?? I know there are a few handy cooks among the clubs

Eoin

I'd be interested but don't have a smoker myself, that kinda limits my practising possibilities.

I did do a whole goat in a pit roast recently for a friends 50th birthday which I catered mostly by myself for 22 people :)

It was delicious by all accounts, this is my second time to do such a roast and it won't be the last.

The whole goat and two extra legs got about 7 hours in the pit once the fire died down and the bones slipped right out of the joints.

RichC

Quote from: lordstilton on July 23, 2014, 08:33:11 PM
Anyone interested in putting together a team to enter in the big grill BBQ comp http://www.biggrillfestival.com/cook-off-competition.html ?
4 man team, 150 euro entry fee..need to do ribs, brisket, shoulder, chicken and another cut of you choice...I've a webber smokey mountain smoker i'm handy enough with and i'd put my ribs up with anyones, my shoulder is fairly good and i smoke a turkey pretty well too...Anyone interested ?? I know there are a few handy cooks among the clubs
I think I'd be up for that. I'll send you a mail. Want to chat before I commit 100%
@Eoin, isnt that an offset smoker in the pics?

Eoin

Quote from: RichC on July 24, 2014, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: lordstilton on July 23, 2014, 08:33:11 PM
I think I'd be up for that. I'll send you a mail. Want to chat before I commit 100%
@Eoin, isnt that an offset smoker in the pics?

That it is, but it's not my back garden :)

lordstilton

Eoin you mad pig tackling something like that. ...you don't need a smoker for the plan I have in my head...first day is the teams choice so I reckon do a turkey in my smoker..Second day is Brisket/ribs/chicken/shoulder...could do the ribs/brisket in my smoker, If Richie joins us he could do the shoulder in his smoker so all thats left is a chicken which we could do in a kettle, I have one of them...surely you could do a bit of practice to perfect a chicken..I have a shit load of good chicken recipes

Eoin

Quote from: lordstilton on July 24, 2014, 01:02:07 PM
Eoin you mad pig tackling something like that. ...you don't need a smoker for the plan I have in my head...first day is the teams choice so I reckon do a turkey in my smoker..Second day is Brisket/ribs/chicken/shoulder...could do the ribs/brisket in my smoker, If Richie joins us he could do the shoulder in his smoker so all thats left is a chicken which we could do in a kettle, I have one of them...surely you could do a bit of practice to perfect a chicken..I have a shit load of good chicken recipes

As said I did it first about 8 years ago, that time it was a full lamb, this time a full goat.

It's actually very easy once you have someone to dig the hole :)

It's an absolutely fantastic way to do a whole beast by the way and no doubt I will do it again at some  point.

The key is to have burlap sacks, hay is also good if you have it, i didn't have hay this time. Lots of water from a watering can over the sacks and bobs your uncle.

Eoin

I do a pretty good spatchcock hen on my hotplate....but not sure about how I'd practise chicken recipes for the amount of time needed, I could ask Bernhard, whose back garden it is if I can use his smoker maybe.

Bubbles

I should have guessed that there were plenty of nhc lads with an interest in proper bbq/smoking! Have wanted to get into this stuff for ages now - googling smokey mountains and big green eggs. I've only recently bought a weber smokey joe grill to get a bit of grilling experience before I graduate to smoking.

Best of luck with the competition lads. Can't wait to see what ye produce.

eanna

Just started smoking myself recently, have only done a chicken so far, waiting for a free weekend to do some airflow modifications smoke some ribs. Can't join your competition group even if I had more experience just in case someone from diageo asks "Isn't your smoker just two kegs welded together?".

lordstilton

RichC

Quote from: lordstilton on July 24, 2014, 01:02:07 PM
Id be happy to do the shoulder!

magnethead

July 30, 2014, 12:56:58 PM #11 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:18:48 PM by magnethead
Hi GUys,
I have a smoker (self made) if you want to pick it up, In Rush, North Dublin, You'd need a Trailer. But it's a good size and could smoke a lot.

I have a second baby on the way at the end of August so can't really volunteer to get involved  ::) you know the madness of Pregnant women  :-X

A Pork Shoulder I did for the young lads first Birthday, last Month.

A photo to show the width

imark

Proper cooking... with hammers.

lordstilton

Nice one magnethead, but it looks like this is a dead duck...only richieC was up for it...maybe next year!!

magnethead

No Bother Lordstilton, I think it's a great idea, Hopefully we can get a good crew together for next year...I'm still new to all this smoking but the guys in the states say they pick up their best tips at these events  ;D Until then.