• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:35:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin collaborative brewday

Started by Shanna, April 30, 2016, 02:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Here's the Yankie version. Yum! I have all the hops for this in the freezer.
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 41.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 37.44 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 34.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 33.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.500 kg              Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)           Grain         1        80.3 %       
1.000 kg              CHÂTEAU WHEAT BLANC (2.8 SRM)            Grain         2        14.6 %       
0.350 kg              CHÂTEAU BISCUIT® (25.4 SRM)              Grain         3        5.1 %         
10.00 g               Cascade-2015 [9.30 %] - First Wort 90.0  Hop           4        9.3 IBUs     
30.00 g               Cascade-2015 [9.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           5        6.7 IBUs     
30.00 g               Centennial-2015 [11.10 %] - Steep/Whirlp Hop           6        8.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49  Yeast         7        -             
40.00 g               Cascade-2015 [9.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop           8        0.0 IBUs     
40.00 g               Centennial-2015 [11.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0  Hop           9        0.0 IBUs     

Mash Schedule: Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.850 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperature   Step Time     
Mash In           Add 27.35 l of water at 70.9 C          66.0 C             45 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 21.55l) of 76.0 C water
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

Having trouble deciding whether to go Yankee or Brit? Something tells me we should go Yankee. Do you have those Chateau grains? I have the pale malt. How will you transfer you wort home? Will it be in a corny?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Well just wanted to give options. I'd go Yankee, simply as I'm a fan of cascade and centennial. I should have all the Chateau grains, will double check.

I don't have the yeast so will need to pick up a fresh vial and grow it up. I do have some 001 that I've been using as my house yeast though.

I was just going to throw the wort into a corny and add the yeast when I get it home. It's normally good for 24 hours before doing anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Shanna

May 07, 2016, 07:50:52 AM #18 Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:38:44 PM by Shanna
Quote from: molc on May 06, 2016, 08:59:36 PM
Well just wanted to give options. I'd go Yankee, simply as I'm a fan of cascade and centennial. I should have all the Chateau grains, will double check.

I don't have the yeast so will need to pick up a fresh vial and grow it up. I do have some 001 that I've been using as my house yeast though.

I was just going to throw the wort into a corny and add the yeast when I get it home. It's normally good for 24 hours before doing anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
All good Colm let's go Yankee. With respect to the grain if you would bring it to the next meet then I can have it pre-crushed that morning to save me some time. Have you tried underletting yet? It looks really simple way to prevent dough balls forming should be perfect for our brew.

If you want me to order the yeast let me know & we can exchange it at the next meet.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Finished up the recipe and put it online so we can all see it:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/361327/golden-ale-yankie-style-

I have the hops, yeast and speciality grains, so I can bring all of those. Let me know what you want me to bring and we're sorted I think. Also, you might want to tweak the recipe parameters for your own system. I've based it off mine, with 75% efficiency set and setting a 41L boil.

Shanna

Quote from: molc on May 27, 2016, 10:27:50 AM
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/361327/golden-ale-yankie-style-

I have the hops, yeast and speciality grains, so I can bring all of those. Let me know what you want me to bring and we're sorted I think. Also, you might want to tweak the recipe parameters for your own system. I've based it off mine, with 75% efficiency set and setting a 41L boil.
Will double check what I had in beer Smith & update if necessary.

Any South Dublin lads around on Sunday feel free to call over. Doing the brew from 14:00. Having a barbeque later in the evening around 18:30 or so. All welcome just might let me know if your coming along so I can make sure I have some food for you.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Lurchalicious

I'm hoping to swing out by getting off work early.  If not ill stop by on the way home to chat a bit.  I'm planning on bringing some of my gear I plan to sell.  post going up soon on that.

Shanna

Quote from: molc on May 27, 2016, 10:27:50 AM

Dialled that in beer Smith last night. Efficiency seems a bit low but I suppose that is due to the amount of water. It's going to be interesting to get a rolling boil on 41 litres in a 50 litre pot :) By the way I have 2 * 100 gr bags of unopened 2015 cascade pellets but not centennial. If you want we can use my cascade to help defray some of the cost for you?

I just van few things to clarify

1. Do you only mash in for 45 :minutes?
2. First wort hopping should it not have a >60 minute boil time to give a higher IBU amount? I assume they go into the kettle as you do the sparge & are therefore in there for longer than 60 minutes boil time?

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Sure I'll just dig out the centennial, wheat and biscuit in that case. Also reminds me I must grow a yeast starter tonight to be ready!

I always set my efficiency low and dilute if necessary on brewday. Still dialing in that part of my process.

1. I mash for 45, then start bringing my hlt upto mashout temperature if the mash passes an iodine test, which it always does. Saves some time and the last 15 min ramp gives it some help as well.
2. Can set fwh to 90 mins. It just gives a different sort of bittering I find, but play away with what works for you.

rukkus

Shanna

Quote from: molc on June 01, 2016, 08:36:00 AM
Sure I'll just dig out the centennial, wheat and biscuit in that case. Also reminds me I must grow a yeast starter tonight to be ready!

I always set my efficiency low and dilute if necessary on brewday. Still dialing in that part of my process.

1. I mash for 45, then start bringing my hlt upto mashout temperature if the mash passes an iodine test, which it always does. Saves some time and the last 15 min ramp gives it some help as well.
2. Can set fwh to 90 mins. It just gives a different sort of bittering I find, but play away with what works for you.
Going to rob that idea, hope I can get iodine from the pharmacy today.
Can leave it as is just was not 100% sure hence my query.

Will try and have the mash water and herms water up to temp before you arrive on Sunday. That way we can just underlet and hit the ground running.

Declan
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on June 01, 2016, 01:23:04 PM

Will try and have the mash water and herms water up to temp before you arrive on Sunday. That way we can just underlet and hit the ground running.

Declan
Sounds like a plan. 2pm kickoff to brewing or do you want me there earlier/later?

Shanna

Quote from: molc on June 01, 2016, 02:09:54 PM
Quote from: Shanna on June 01, 2016, 01:23:04 PM

Declan
Sounds like a plan. 2pm kickoff to brewing or do you want me there earlier/later?
2pm is fine, looking forward to it, hope weather holds :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Lads personally speaking I won't be drinking on Sunday till we have the brewing out of the way. However anybody else coming over feel free to start earlier if you want. I thought it might be nice if your coming to bring some beers to exchange among ourselves. I have some Weiss, American Amber, barrel aged barley wine, cider & barrel aged Russian imperial Porter that i would happily trade for a bottle or two of your finest. Just an idea if anybody is interested.

If anybody has any different dietary requirements in terms of gluten or dairy please let me know by PM. I will be making food with both bread crumbs + eggs & I don't want to make anyone sick.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Right now I have cal common, amber, schwarzbier, sweet stout, Vienna lager and dry stout. Shout if people want any and how much and I can bottle from the keg tomorrow.

Interested I'm those barrel aged aged beers myself - nectar of the gods!