• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:33:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 28th July

Started by Bubbles, July 18, 2016, 10:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

We may have had one or two, come to think of it I had to beat you feckers off with a stick for it, I was a week at the dentists as well from all that pH, expensive trips these SCD meets.
GCBers are gluttons for punishment see ya later.

CC

Was that anything to do with the gallons of Gueze Boon you and Rossa were throwing down your necks...? Just sayin' like.....  :-\
[/quote]

the phrase gallons of geuze boon sends shivers down my spine

bachus

1. Bubbles - Black IPA, 2015 Saison, 2014 Quadrupel
2. Shanna - Bottle conditioned collaboration Yankee Golden Ale & Bottle conditioned 2015 GB Cider
3. Molc - Mosaic-Simcoe-Amilarrilo double IPA, golden ale
4. RonnieB - Cider from last years GB
5. Lurchalicious - Octoberfest
6. CH- Cal Com, Helles, Barrel Aged Cider, G. Strongs Recipe Barrel Aged Barley Wine, half cut from bottling
7. bachus - mead... or mead ;-)

Dominik (bachus)

Bubbles

7 signups and at least 15 bodies tonight! What a great night, one of the best.

Thanks to our GCB bros for visiting tonight, always great to catch up with yis.

Special thanks to the fella that handed me a free refractometer and then got embarrassed cos I handed him a nice bottle of beer in return. You're a legend, sir.

For me, molc's DIPA was the standout, but bachus's chocolate, cherry and chilli mead was amazing also.

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on July 29, 2016, 01:03:44 AM
7 signups and at least 15 bodies tonight! What a great night, one of the best.

Thanks to our GCB bros for visiting tonight, always great to catch up with yis.

Special thanks to the fella that handed me a free refractometer and then got embarrassed cos I handed him a nice bottle of beer in return. You're a legend, sir.

For me, molc's DIPA was the standout, but bachus's chocolate, cherry and chilli mead was amazing also.
Great night last night but next time we have 15 brewers at our meet somebody please remind me to not drink pints from the bar :-( I am in the horrors this morning & it's not even 9am yet. It's going to be a long day. Too many beers to mention from last night. Double checked my cider this morning no floaters in any if the bottles that I could see. Cheers CH for the large swing tops.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CC

great meet last night lads....
best comment on any beer that i've ever heard from last night :

GCB supremo smells beer, says :' Jesus I wish I could get soap that smells like that!'

in refernece to molc's DIPA which was outstanding in fairness!

GCB barrell aged barley wine was one of the nicest drinks i've ever had

and as a relative newcomer to the world of sours i thought the berlin weisse from rossa was lovely... and just as designed by the brewer himself a bit of a gateway drug!!

great stuff and great tips and pointers from the experienced brewers as always... i'll be picking brains now while i iron out the next few gremlins in my sights!

molc

Everything hurts today. Im starting to think it's just as well we only.haf 500ml bottles.

Outstanding meet - the quality of the guest veers last night was stupidly high. I really loved Rossa'   black Ipa/porter. Really interesting balance and mist be amazing in nitro. Also the whisky aged cider was damn tasty - there's was a nice sweetness there that balanced very well with the apples.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Thanks for hospitality guys great meet.
Some amazing beers especially Molcs DIPA, and some howlers, I get really frustrated for Homebrewers who have a really good beer let down by sanitation.
Apologies if we were forthright but I'd rather somebody told me I had a fault in my beer and help me discover what I did to screw it up.
Homebrewers out there using dishwashers :( and thinking oxi is a no rinse solution you also have to treat for chlorinated water from a mains supply!
There are really only 2 things that are gonna screw with your beer being good, sanitation and fermentation temp. It's minor stuff after that.

CC

totally agreed ch.... if the motto of the club is helping to improve home brewed beer through education, then the most improtant part of that process is informed criticism on tasting.
i've never failed to improve having spoken to more experienced brewers who've had to bear my efforts. i think the efforts are getting better and a lot of faults have been solved. another set of issues highlighted clearly lat night and the plan reads:

1)star san ordered
2)bottle washer ordered
3)camden tabs borrowed from shanna

next up some more info on mash ph

Shanna

Quote from: CH on July 29, 2016, 01:00:36 PM
Thanks for hospitality guys great meet.
Some amazing beers especially Molcs DIPA, and some howlers, I get really frustrated for Homebrewers who have a really good beer let down by sanitation.
Apologies if we were forthright but I'd rather somebody told me I had a fault in my beer and help me discover what I did to screw it up.
Homebrewers out there using dishwashers :( and thinking oxi is a no rinse solution you also have to treat for chlorinated water from a mains supply!
There are really only 2 things that are gonna screw with your beer being good, sanitation and fermentation temp. It's minor stuff after that.
Was great to see some familiar faces after a long time & as always our own regulars were great craic. Looking forward to tweaking Molc recipe with the WLP007 yeast. Was reasonably happy with the first effort but I have to admit the hops were more muted than I expected but as a session beer its really nice.

Highly embarrassed about the cider last night as the bottles continue to be a bit of a crap shoot (says the man taking the 750ml swing tops home). Not entirely sure whether that bottle was one off but I suppose time will tell. One thing I am suspicious of was that I was slow to take my cider off the yeast & even when I did I ended up with a load of additional yeast in my secondary meaning that even after cold crashing it I had to do a 3rd transfer & settle before bottling. I would not be at all surprised if all of the messing had allowed the cider to acquire something along the way.

Completely agree about the dishwasher etc now that I leaned the hard way. I have acquired another 100 new swing tops and will over time swap them to replace the non swing tops. Also since I have larger fermenter going to be more judicious in my use of kegs.

CC if you had any of that beer u gave me on the bank holiday would u bring it to the next meet as I lost the two bottles by them freezing solid in the beer fridge as they got pushed up against the back wall of the fridge :(

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on July 30, 2016, 01:18:26 PM
... Looking forward to tweaking Molc recipe with the WLP007 yeast. Was reasonably happy with the first effort but I have to admit the hops were more muted than I expected but as a session beer its really nice.

Could be fun to both do a rebrew separately and apply our individual tweaks and then bring to a meet for comparison. I have a few ideas of what I'd like to change as well :)

Shanna

Quote from: molc on July 30, 2016, 02:16:39 PM
... Looking forward to tweaking Molc recipe with the WLP007 yeast. Was reasonably happy with the first effort but I have to admit the hops were more muted than I expected but as a session beer its really nice.

Could be fun to both do a rebrew separately and apply our individual tweaks and then bring to a meet for comparison. I have a few ideas of what I'd like to change as well :)
Yes but only if you allow me the time to incorporate the additional tweaks in to my setup. Not sure how I am going to get the temperature probe to read properly beginning to suspect that the problem is in the wiring rather than the probe as the movement of the probe causes it to go haywire.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on July 30, 2016, 09:33:18 PM
Quote from: molc on July 30, 2016, 02:16:39 PM

Yes but only if you allow me the time to incorporate the additional tweaks in to my setup. Not sure how I am going to get the temperature probe to read properly beginning to suspect that the problem is in the wiring rather than the probe as the movement of the probe causes it to go haywire.

Shanna
I'm I'm no rush. There's a load of beers in the brew queue right now. It's going to be a very Belgian winter ;)

CC

[/quote]

CC if you had any of that beer u gave me on the bank holiday would u bring it to the next meet as I lost the two bottles by them freezing solid in the beer fridge as they got pushed up against the back wall of the fridge :(

Shanna
[/quote]

That beer has all been drank i'm afraid Shanna.
what i have at the moment is flawed but i've a few tweaks in place for a brew this weekend which should do the trick  ;)
i'll have a couple of bottles along for ya next month

Shanna

Quote from: CC on August 02, 2016, 11:39:43 AM

Shanna
[/quote]

That beer has all been drank i'm afraid Shanna.
what i have at the moment is flawed but i've a few tweaks in place for a brew this weekend which should do the trick  ;)
i'll have a couple of bottles along for ya next month
[/quote]
Sounds good. Cu next time.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer