• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:41:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spare Yeast?

Started by craiclad, August 04, 2016, 06:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craiclad

Friend is throwing a party next Friday and I was thinking of doing a quick and dirty brew for the event. With about a week from grain to glass it won't be anything special, but it will be beer and it will be drank. I was thinking a low gravity pale ale, very lightly bittered with a mix of american hops might go down well.

Only problem is I don't have any aggressive yeast on hand. The only way I can see this working is if I use a liquid yeast and a big starter. Does anyone have a vial of something like WLP090 or WLP007 that they'd be willing to sell me?

nigel_c

Shanna

Quote from: craiclad on August 04, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
Friend is throwing a party next Friday and I was thinking of doing a quick and dirty brew for the event. With about a week from grain to glass it won't be anything special, but it will be beer and it will be drank. I was thinking a low gravity pale ale, very lightly bittered with a mix of american hops might go down well.

Only problem is I don't have any aggressive yeast on hand. The only way I can see this working is if I use a liquid yeast and a big starter. Does anyone have a vial of something like WLP090 or WLP007 that they'd be willing to sell me?
Would two packs of properly hydrated US 05 and oxygenated wort do the trick. Can give you the yeast & lend you my 02 bottle, airstone & 02 regulator. If you want it give a call later tonight as I am away from tomorrow early for the weekend.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

Guys ffs you can't brew beer in a week  :D :D :D :D :D :P
Well actually you probably can if you really don't like somebody >:D
"I'm never drinking Craiclads piss again" is what all your mates will be saying, cue video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIBTg7q9oNc

Shanna

Quote from: CH on August 04, 2016, 08:35:02 PM
"I'm never drinking Craiclads piss again" is what all your mates will be saying, cue video

As the craiclad lad said its going to be drank anyway. Have had a fermentation finish after three days before so it bus possible. Would I drink it now knowing how I know green homebrew can be loaded with by products from incomplete fermentation not a chance. Would I have drank it when I was in my 20's as a student absolutely :)

As an aside if somebody has finished brewing & you have a chance of getting a washed yeast cake that would work also. I can't see you having enough time to grow a liquid starter.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

Leann ull

Maybe the answer is to have a club reserve of beer where if a fella has an emergency like this, that there is a surplus to cover it?

craiclad

August 04, 2016, 11:47:17 PM #7 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:03:42 AM by craiclad
Quote from: CH on August 04, 2016, 08:35:02 PM

As a newish brewer I know that the tradition is against me but I'm going to respectfully go against the grain on this one. Lots of sources claiming that great beer can be made in a short amount of time with good yeast health, proper oxygenation and precise temperature control etc. Not to say that it wouldn't benefit from a few weeks of aging, but I've definitely pushed out similar beers in a very tight time frame.

Shanna, thank you so much for the offer. If I had caught this earlier I absolutely would have taken you up.

I have a yeast cake of WLP029 I could use, but I'm not sure how well that would fit with a pale ale-ish beer? The only grains I have on hand are Maris otter, a few crystals, Munich, and some ancient honey malt. Lots of Americans hops as well (magnum, cascade, centennial, Simcoe, mosaic, a touch of Citra and falconers flight). Any advice on how I could wrangle a recipe to suit this yeast?

Drum

Wasn't there another thread about fast turnaround brewing a few days ago? can't find it now but there was a good link in it to someone who had done a few experiments with decent results.   Low gravity/ABV and lots of hops or cloudy wheat beer were the fastest to brew if i remember correctly.

It should be possible in theory if you have enough yeast and the ability to maintain perfect temp control and a corny keg setup to force carbonate.

I know I'll get shot down for this but I say go for it if you have a fridge and kegs.

I'd go with all maris otter to about 4% ABV
Magnum to 30 IBU
and then a load of citra and falconers flight at 15 mins and flame out for a nice hoppy pale ale to slug at a party.

Pitch as much yeast as you have at it and see what happens.

I don't see it working though if you don't have temp control for your fermentation and kegs

molc

I turned around a clean double ipa in 4 weeks recently, grain to glass, so fir sure it's possible. Aggressive yeast and temp control can get a 3% beer out in that timeline I'd say.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

craiclad

Ok, so here's the tentative recipe for this monstrosity. Open to suggestion until I actually make it (~3 hours).

Boy Racer

Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated IBU: ~25

Maris Otter - 3.6KG (95%)
Cara-Pils - 0.2KG (5%)

7g Magnum - 60 Minutes
14g Amarillo - 15 Minutes
14g Amarillo - Flameout
14g Citra - Flameout
14g Falconers Flight - Flameout

Pitch onto a WLP029 yeast cake, ferment at 19C for three days, slowly ramp up to 24C over subsequent three days. Keg, pressurise to 40PSI for 24 hours, drink all at once.

Simon_

Quote from: molc on August 05, 2016, 08:42:50 AM
I turned around a clean double ipa in 4 weeks recently, grain to glass, so fir sure it's possible.
Quote from: craiclad on August 04, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
Friend is throwing a party next Friday
1 week, not 4  :)

Quote from: craiclad on August 05, 2016, 10:40:04 AM
Pitch onto a WLP029 yeast cake
wlp029 is not a good quick turnaround yeast

molc

Eep OK that's too short!l, even for me :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

nigel_c

Wlp 029 is not a good flocking yeast. It will not drop clean and will taste bad. The reason 029 is lagered is to drop the yeast out because it is not pleasant. Sub for Nottingham or O5 if you have it.
Probably better to hit he bottle shop though.

Bazza

+1 on the Notty. I put on a brew last night with rehydrated Notty and it was going like the clappers this morning. If you rehydrate it and get a good start it *should* be stage #1 complete by day 4.

Also, since it's gonna be cloudy anyway, I'd consider chucking a load of that Amarillo straight into the keg in a muslin bag to help mask the green flavours.

But as Nigel says I'd pop into the bottle shop on your way to the bog roll shop just in case  :P

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx