• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:01:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spare Yeast?

Started by craiclad, August 04, 2016, 06:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drum

Quote from: CH on August 09, 2016, 11:09:46 PM
https://youtu.be/2JVwo3D72cc

Starting letters are    boy racer

I got carboy for 6 points

Anyone got anything else?

craiclad

OG: 1.041
Gravity now: 1.008

Sample is surprisingly tasty. Citrus and tropical fruit on the nose, bready flavour with a balanced fruity/hoppy bitterness. There is a very slight sulphur edge to the aroma, but not noticeable unless you try and pick it out.

Still have some airlock activity. Going to leave it another 24 hours, then rack to a keg and force carb at 40PSI for a further 24 hours.

I figure I'm better off letting the yeast clean up after themselves than I am to try and force them out of solution with gelatin this early.

nigel_c

Quote from: craiclad on August 10, 2016, 03:44:40 PM
There is a very slight sulphur edge to the aroma, but not noticeable unless you try and pick it out.

After you keg the beer blow a few seconds of co2 down the liquid out and this should help drive off the sulfur. Lid off. Not a mad pressure. just enough to bubble through.

craiclad

How can I do this without sticking my disconnects?

nigel_c

If you use JG fittings just unscrew and swap them over. If barbed if mightn't be worth the hassle.

craiclad

Damn, mine are barbed... Thanks for the tip though!

nigel_c

I've seen the technique used for ciders that are a bit farty.
Happy 100th post as well  :)

Leann ull

Ok so you got there phew as I was gonna donate you a 4 month old Pilsner and fresh cal common  :)

Now all you need to do is the pat pending carbing process

https://vimeo.com/143317742?ref=em-share

craiclad

Quote from: CH on August 10, 2016, 08:00:15 PM
Ok so you got there phew as I was gonna donate you a 4 month old Pilsner and fresh cal common  :)

Now all you need to do is the pat pending carbing process

https://vimeo.com/143317742?ref=em-share

Wow, very generous of you! I wouldn't feel right taking your hard won beer, but thank you so much for the kind thoughts.

Now all I need is a treadmill to get this beer carbed up. ;D

I've decided to follow your advice and cold crash/fine it tonight. Will be put on gas first thing in the morning, sampled Friday morning and then carbonated further if it's too flat. Will post an update when I have the final product in hand!

Leann ull

You just need to sit there with it under your foot rolling back and forth for 20-30 mins , massive purge to start with obviously.

craiclad

Quote from: CH on August 10, 2016, 09:32:15 PM
You just need to sit there with it under your foot rolling back and forth for 20-30 mins , massive purge to start with obviously.

How long do you usually let it sit before drawing a sample? I've had good results simply letting the beer sit at 40PSI for 20-30 hours, but I'd be interested to try this method if it's not carbed enough by Friday morning. I assume you're setting it at around 12PSI if you're shaking it for half an hour?

craiclad

Here's the label - gonna slap it on the side of the keg.

Leann ull

He he
C02 will get absorbed quicker at higher pressures and lower temperatures.
I normally carb for a week at 12-15 psi in a fridge.
If its its not cold you need higher pressures.
Because of your extreme schedule I'd be rolling it with 40 to start and then after 10 mins down to your target.
Leave the disconnect and gas on, your know it's done when you stop hearing gas going in.
I've done it a couple of times pita tbh but needs must.

Shanna

Quote from: craiclad on August 10, 2016, 05:52:31 PM
Damn, mine are barbed... Thanks for the tip though!
Give me a shout if you want to borrow John guest fittings with disconnects.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles