• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:55:43 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 27th October

Started by Bubbles, October 18, 2016, 12:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Pale was lovely, as was the berry mead. Great night as always:)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

CC

glad to finally offer up something worthwhile lads!!
with the water issues and sanitation issues sorted hopefully there'll be more good stuff to come...

i thought the light saison from Bubbles was absolutely deelish- a real thirst quencher, extremely drinkable and perfect balance of flavours/alcohol for the style....

Molc's DIPA is a superstar. all i'd say is 35 my arse. i actually found it hard to put down because the aroma is so good. i was essentially alternating sniffing and sipping. alcohol is warming but in no way overpowering or harsh and bang on for what a 9% DIPA should be.

the blackcurrant mead is the sort of drink that any sensible brewer should aspire to make!! extremely skillfully executed, beautifully balanced, but young- if  bubble's has any sense at all he'll ban himself from drinking it until christmas 2017 when those taninns will have softened and all the other wonderful flavours will shine through.

good stuff all round lads

note (lads shanna needs to have a sponsor on hand to take a call and have a calming influence whenever he's brewing a flavoured beer... coconut, fenugreek and now elderflower...i'd be willing to take on the role just to ensure moderation in the shanna brew shed!)

Shanna

Quote from: CC on October 28, 2016, 06:02:05 PM
glad to finally offer up something worthwhile lads!!
with the water issues and sanitation issues sorted hopefully there'll be more good stuff to come...

i thought the light saison from Bubbles was absolutely deelish- a real thirst quencher, extremely drinkable and perfect balance of flavours/alcohol for the style....

Molc's DIPA is a superstar. all i'd say is 35 my arse. i actually found it hard to put down because the aroma is so good. i was essentially alternating sniffing and sipping. alcohol is warming but in no way overpowering or harsh and bang on for what a 9% DIPA should be.

the blackcurrant mead is the sort of drink that any sensible brewer should aspire to make!! extremely skillfully executed, beautifully balanced, but young- if  bubble's has any sense at all he'll ban himself from drinking it until christmas 2017 when those taninns will have softened and all the other wonderful flavours will shine through.

good stuff all round lads

note (lads shanna needs to have a sponsor on hand to take a call and have a calming influence whenever he's brewing a flavoured beer... coconut, fenugreek and now elderflower...i'd be willing to take on the role just to ensure moderation in the shanna brew shed!)
Your lucky that the ginger beer was before your time, 1Kg in 23 litres :). In my own defense the coconut dropped right out after about 5 weeks & ended up being one of my better beers. The fenugreek was a recipe from radical brewing & was not something I adlibbed. Granted the elder flower was completely over the top but I reckon that if I leave it for a few months it will come good. Still have plans for wyn flower stout & also coco infused stout so watch this space.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

CC

Messing aside  I thought the aroma from the elderflower beer was lovely... the taste was a bit vegetive but I think you might be right... it could calm down to something great

Shanna

Quote from: CC on October 29, 2016, 12:14:13 AM
Messing aside  I thought the aroma from the elderflower beer was lovely... the taste was a bit vegetive but I think you might be right... it could calm down to something great
No harm no foul, Conor I think nailed it that the elder flower probably needs to pruned a bit more selectively & instead of dry hopping it with 200 grs instead use it as a flameout addition in the kettle & dial it back a bit. I suspect some of the grass flavour came from the Zubrowka vodka I used to soak the elder flower in.  Unfortunately I ran out of the clear grain vodka I had been using to sterilise stuff previously. Hope I did not put anybody off :)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member