• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:24:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 1st December

Started by Bubbles, November 21, 2016, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Quote from: molc on November 22, 2016, 08:40:22 AM
Twas a fine collaboration! I could see the gears I'm your head working away making notes as we sat and stared at the kit working away. :)

Will be interesting to see what an early sample is like. It needs cold conditioning for sure to round off all those edges still.

Next time, we're doing one of your recipes :) Oh or one of Conors! Try to brew another Brewers recipe and see how it works out!

Guess I'll bring along the dipa for CH as well, so he can find the right bar of soap this Christmas :D
Sure maybe do an amber the next time around. Will be interesting to see what if any difference the stainless fermenter and or hop dry hopper makes to the process also. Have recently fixed the water volumes and added detachable temperature probes so some of the insanity observed previouly in my setup is gone. Going to try all of the new changes including the first use of the stainless fermenter with a stout recipe.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Anything but an amber! I've brewed about 6 this year already and have 40L of it at home :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

Quote from: molc on November 23, 2016, 10:58:43 PM
Anything but an amber! I've brewed about 6 this year already and have 40L of it at home :)
Ok maybe a stout or maybe Conor can share the secrets of brewing a good British ale with us :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Quote from: Shanna on November 23, 2016, 11:31:39 PM
Quote from: molc on November 23, 2016, 10:58:43 PM
Ok maybe a stout or maybe Conor can share the secrets of brewing a good British ale with us :)

Shanna
Oh a British ale. Now there's a worthy challenge and a great way to dial in your changes. Low gravity. Full of malt and English yeast character. Not something I've ever really tried to brew...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

I wouldn't be the man to talk to! They're not an easy style to do really well. My last few attempts have been really disappointing.

Bubbles

1. Molc - Helles
2. cc- Belgian blonde,thirstyNHCmember
3. CH-(provisionally) 2x NEIPA and several porters
4. Shanna - early sample of collaboration Belgian Pale ale (I collaborated by eating sandwiches, pringles & rice crispy buns, not to mention the gallons of tae)
5. RedWino - Scottish Ale
6. Bubbles - something funky, and either a pale ale or a dry stout

guest1906

Hi guys I'm going to sit this one out again as my cider won't be ready until 25th December onwards, you'll have to wait till the January meeting to try my ciders.

Shanna

Quote from: JamMan on November 27, 2016, 11:59:25 AM
Hi guys I'm going to sit this one out again as my cider won't be ready until 25th December onward you'll have to wait till the January meeting to try my ciders.
Hi Jam Man,

If that is 2016 AJ then I would wait another few months to cold condition and age them if I was you. The cider will improve as a result.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Leann ull

Sorry lads the curse of the brewing classes, "work", may not allow me attend on Thursday  :( >:( and Bubbles I was gonna tell you which yeast does best for an IPA for next years comp as well :P

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 28, 2016, 02:17:52 PM
Sorry lads the curse of the brewing classes, "work", may not allow me attend on Thursday  :( >:( and Bubbles I was gonna tell you which yeast does best for an IPA for next years comp as well :P

Damn.. and I'd planned on stepping up my wind-up trash-talk for the comp...

No matter.. I'll dust off my 2014 gold-medal winning recipe and give that a go instead...  ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D :P :P :P :P :P

Leann ull

Bubbles

guest1906

Quote from: Shanna on November 27, 2016, 12:33:09 PM
If that is 2016 AJ then I would wait another few months to cold condition and age them if I was you. The cider will improve as a result.

After pressing over 350ltrs of apple juice to make cider I'll have plenty of cider samples for 2017 and might last me till next years apple harvest.

CC

lads i've recently come across a truly seminal piece of work....
Better Winemaking And Brewing For Beginners by BCA Turner.

Mr Turner is my kind of guy....

' Home brewed beer, properly made and matured is a superb beverage, beneficial as a tonic, perfect as an accompaniment to certain foods and a wonderful aid to relaxation and enjoyment of fellowship'

'Within the last few years many women have returned to their erstwhile task and some of the best beer being brewed at home is being made by women. Perhaps they hope to keep their husbands with them at home instead of being left alone whilst the men go to their local pub.'

Bubbles

;D

Nice one. Can we give him honorary membership or something?  8)