• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:45:08 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 1st December

Started by Bubbles, November 21, 2016, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

'why were you home so late on saturday....?'

'I was enjoying a few beneficial tonics to aid my relaxation and enjoyment of fellowship...'

QED.

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on November 24, 2016, 08:36:50 PM
I wouldn't be the man to talk to! They're not an easy style to do really well. My last few attempts have been really disappointing.
Belgian ale then maybe or a would really like to do a Rye inspired ale (CC I know I can't help it with the funny ingredients).

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Just wanted to let people know that I will be bringing along chocolate malt tomorrow continuing on the malt tasting experiment. If anybody has a thermos and wants to bring along some different type of grain would be cool. 50 grams of finely crushed grain, 400 ml of 70C water (allow for 5C heat loss). I will bring along a few spare coffee filters and a thermometer and a container to drain the liquid in to.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

guest1906

Thank you Shanana and Molc on your advice on creating a berry cider last September having a 10:1 apple to berry mix as I'll be bottling that brew this evening,  and look forward to next summer sampling that with you guys.

molc

Quote from: JamMan on December 01, 2016, 10:01:55 AM
Thank you Shanana and Molc on your advice on creating a berry cider last September having a 10:1 apple to berry mix as I'll be bottling that brew this evening,  and look forward to next summer sampling that with you guys.
More than welcome. Hope it turns out well!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

molc

Quote from: Shanna on November 30, 2016, 05:42:40 PM
Just wanted to let people know that I will be bringing along chocolate malt tomorrow continuing on the malt tasting experiment. If anybody has a thermos and wants to bring along some different type of grain would be cool. 50 grams of finely crushed grain, 400 ml of 70C water (allow for 5C heat loss). I will bring along a few spare coffee filters and a thermometer and a container to drain the liquid in to.

Shanna
I have roast barley and black malt (I think), but don't think I'll have time to get it crushed and water heated before the train to the meet. Might try to plan a little ahead for the next meet and bring some complimentary grains though - it's a great idea.

Need to do the same myself with some aromatic and munich malt, as I added it to a lager recently and made a bloody malt bomb. Not sure which caused it!

Bubbles

Shanna

I don't drink anything that isn't fermented...  ;) :o 8)

Shanna

Quote from: molc on December 01, 2016, 10:09:27 AM

Shanna
I have roast barley and black malt (I think), but don't think I'll have time to get it crushed and water heated before the train to the meet. Might try to plan a little ahead for the next meet and bring some complimentary grains though - it's a great idea.

Need to do the same myself with some aromatic and munich malt, as I added it to a lager recently and made a bloody malt bomb. Not sure which caused it!
Weight it out and I will bring my manual coffee grinder as I draw the line in bringing the jewellery scale :) We might ask the Dark Horse for a flask full of hot water.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Lads we're in the bar this evening, not our usual spot.

Emot

Newbie here, will pop in this evening to introduce myself. All my beer is fermenting so I won't have anything to sample this time around, unless someone wants some top quality crystal malt dog biscuits?

Bubbles

CC

good standard last night lads... some very interesting beers...  i'm still trying to figure out the taste profiles in dave's super yeast brew!

molc

Everything hurts this morning! Great meet as always. The sour and Barleywine stood out for me.

CC

+1... to be honest bubbles entire range last night was pretty damn good... imagine what this fella is going to achieve with the new kit!
i remember one of my first meets some lad bangin on about how the grainfather confers an unfair advantage in competiton... how it wasn't really proper homebrewing...

your amber was tip top for me molc... wouldn't change a thing on that recipe.

molc

Thanks! It needs a colour and clarity adjustment but the flavours are pretty good alright. My recipe from last year might still be better though... It's only 6 weeks grain to glass though, with quite a kick, so still has to clean up a bit.

Looking forward to rebrewing the lager with the traditional method and seeing how it works out now. Great feedback there.