• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:08:20 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Viking Pilsner malt trial

Started by Ed, September 28, 2015, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Hi lads,

The Viking malt generously provided to the club by Homebrewwest for feedback had arrived, specs here;

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/viking-2-row-pilsner-malt-28-to-45-ebc-25-kg-5558-p.asp

The sack will be split into five 5Kg bags for those interested (Full members only) and whoever uses it should be prepared to provide some simple feedback e.g. efficiency of the mash was? OG vs other malts, what did it taste like?, would you use it again?, etc

The raffle will be made at the brewday (4th October), delivery TBC (I'm not sure if I can make it to the brewday :(

1. Ed

itsclinto

helmet

danger_zone

fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

HomeBrewWest

Hi lads, and chance of some feedback on the Viking pilsner malt?
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

helmet

I used 4kg for a Dortmunder, recipe attached. Estimated OG was 1053 and it came in at 1052. Will update whenever it's bottled and ready for drinking.

danger_zone

I used 3.5kg pilsner malt for a stout. Estimated OG was 1063, actual OG came in at 1060. Boiled for 90 mins. Super impressed with how the beer turned out. Crushed it extra fine to increase my BIAB efficiency. Probably the best efficiency I've achieved. I'd definitely use the malt again
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

itsclinto

Used this malt over the weekend for a Heineken clone. I hit my target of 1.052 and 70% efficiency. The malt bill was 5kg of pilsner and 0.2kg of crystal. It came out crystal clear and i would definitely use it again