• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:02 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Just got access to an orchard

Started by admin, September 20, 2013, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

On a job at the moment and there is an orchard with 4 or 5 apple trees (probably 100 years old) laden with apples. They're not cookers, but they're not the same as mine which are Cox's Pippins. They're not as sweet as CP.

There are hundreds of apples, and I can have them all if I want them.

Should I take them? Kind of panicking as there are so many and I don't want to miss out.

Ciderhead

take them you can always have apple pie for the rest of the year.
The free bit is the easy bit ;D

Tom

newToBrew

Take em and run - go back next year !!!!
coz theres always something new to do

CARA

Group cider press buy? As in one between a big group of us???
Upa Sesh

Will_D

The Seabury Press is a few days away from comissioning!

Spec'd to produce 30 L of juice from one pressing

Watch this space!

BTW: If you are offered apples they should be stored for a week or two to allow the fruit to mature and so yield more juice. The name for this is "Tumping".

Just store the apples in a heap out side! Apples stored in a fridge at 3C will keep for about 3 months (you do need a BIG fridge for a few 100 Kgs!)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LordEoin

If you can store them, take them!
Even if you don't use them drop him a few bottles of cider to say thanks, then you have an annual apple supply.
Otherwise they'll just go to the wasps and compost :'(

Tom

Quote from: Will_D on September 20, 2013, 10:29:48 PM
The Seabury Press is a few days away from comissioning!

I just googled that and drew a blank. Is it a basket press, a four corners with threaded bar press, or a French Guillotine type press?

I'm interested, because I'm going to make one when I get some suitable wood, using a car jack.

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Tom

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Dube on September 20, 2013, 05:02:02 PM
On a job at the moment and there is an orchard with 4 or 5 apple trees (probably 100 years old) laden with apples. They're not cookers, but they're not the same as mine which are Cox's Pippins. They're not as sweet as CP.

There are hundreds of apples, and I can have them all if I want them.

Should I take them? Kind of panicking as there are so many and I don't want to miss out.

I find myself in a similar position, are there any fruit presses for rent in Dublin at all?  I have access to about 40 trees and would be willing to pay in apples or a portion of the juice or cash.