• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:36:01 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

JG Fitting - correct Gas / Beer line

Started by Acott, August 10, 2015, 08:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Hey all, I hope to start kegging soon and have been busy buying bits and pieces over the last few months.
All I've left to get is the Gas / Beer line and I want to make sure I get the right stuff!

I got my JG fittings from My Beer and Wine, on the push fitting its says 3/8", I take it this is the outer diameter?

With that in mind what kind of inner diameter should I be aiming for?

Also, do I need hard line for gas and soft line for beer?

Should I buy a decent length, say 10ft?

Any help is greatly appreciated, I want to hit the ground running and have everything in working order before my IPA is done fermenting....I'm like a child at christmas!

Kevin O'Roundwood

Bit of a bump here cos I'd like to know myself. I would've assumed 3/8th" is the inner diameter...?
Buachaill dána

dcalnan

3/8" is the outer diameter, it's around 1/4" inner diameter for most beer lines.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Quote from: dcalnan on August 13, 2015, 11:15:12 PM
3/8" is the outer diameter, it's around 1/4" inner diameter for most beer lines.

So does that mean that it's the thickness of the wall that changes with the various different sized lines - not the inner diameter?
Buachaill dána

dcalnan

Sorry I meant it's generally 1/4 Id for 3/8 od. 5/16 od would be 3/16 id. But every tube is different

Acott

I did some digging on other forums, the general felling is the 3/8" is fine for gas but you need something with a smaller ID for beer.

A 3/16" ID was recommended as you ou need less length to avoid foaming in the lines. I picked up a JG reducer on ebay for something like €5 delivered, this allows me to have 3/8" for gas and 5/16" (3/16" ID ) for beer

Will_D

Just to be clear on this:

Push fit fittings like JG and Norgen are always specified on the tubing OD
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Beermonger

Acott, where did you source the 5/16 tubing? I've been trying to use the 3/8 from mybeerandwine for beer, but it seems to provide almost no resistance...
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

Acott

Quote from: Beermonger on August 18, 2015, 01:16:38 AM
Acott, where did you source the 5/16 tubing? I've been trying to use the 3/8 from mybeerandwine for beer, but it seems to provide almost no resistance...

I got the line from The Homebrew Company

But I had to get a reducer for the 3/8" JG fitting from My Beer & Wine so I could use the 5/16" line

I got that here

dcalnan

From the research I've done lately polyethylene tubing isn't the best for beerline, I've read it's relatively porous and allows oxegen ingress and co2 to escape. I'm planning on getting brewmaster 2 tubing, which is nylon with a smooth inner layer and meant to be better overall.

johnrm

Proper beer line is laminated.
There are at least 2 if not 3 layers, one later is OxBar, similar to coopers bottles.
Also, don't kink lines, this can lead to foaming.

Acott

Quote from: johnrm on August 18, 2015, 08:13:33 PM
Proper beer line is laminated.
There are at least 2 if not 3 layers, one later is OxBar, similar to coopers bottles.

Sounds expensive  ;D

I think I'll go with the cheap stuff to begin with but I'll definitely look in to it and upgrade down the line *boom boom* ill get my coat!

Leann ull

dcalnan