• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:41:03 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Up shit creek without a regulator?

Started by Acott, August 25, 2015, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

I just kegged my first brew on Sunday but I'm having some trouble.

The regulator is the problem as it wont hold a consistent PSI. On Sunday I set it to 30PSI with the intent on leaving it at that for 24 hours, I couldn't resist and went to have a look a couple of hours later...it was down to 20 PSI, I chalked this up to co2 absorption.

I set it to 30 PSI again, but after an hour it crept up to 35PSI. I left it for the night and thought 'Fudge It, it'll be grand'. I came down Monday morning and it was at 20PSI again...possible co2 absorption?

Monday evening, I purged the keg and just set it at 12PSI with the intent of leaving it at that until the keg kicks...this morning it was down to 6PSI. I've checked everywhere for leaks on the keg, along the line, on the regulator...nothing!

I can't understand why it won't keep a consistent PSI. I bought the regulator from My Beer & Wine, so if there's anyone else out there with a similar experience that might have a possible fix that would be great.

I also want to say the keg and co2 are both in the fridge. My major worry is, if the regulator is broke...where do I get another (as I missed the group buy) and is my brew fudged without a regulator until I get a new one?

Sorry for the long thread, this is melting my head!

johnrm

Did you tap the gauge frantically?
Works on aeroplanes...

johnrm

Are you shutting off the valve on your CO2 cylinder? Are you using a fire extinguisher?

Acott

Quote from: johnrm on August 25, 2015, 09:02:24 AM
Did you tap the gauge frantically?
Works on aeroplanes...

I felt like tapping it with a hammer :)

This is the cylinder

I thought you kept the cylinder open when carbing at 30 PSI ?

johnrm

The answer was 'no' then. The valve should be open.
Cylinder looks fine.
It doesn't sound like it, but did you check for gas leaks?
What sort if reg is it?

Acott

Aye!

The regulator is exactly the same as this (red circle is from something else :) )

Yeah I checked for leaks on several occasions using star san in a spray bottle.
When first set up I found a leak between the regulator and the JG fitting but I tightened this and it's been solid since.

Leann ull

Open your tap to 12 psi leave your tank open for 7-10 days serve at 5-8psi.
Shittier cheaper regs freeze stuck if a lot off cold co2 is going through them, I own one  :( and probably why I have 2 pub and 3 quality standard regs now thanks to Alex

craiclad

Did you ever get this sorted in the end? I'm trying to nail down all the leaks in my system and thinking about where I could get a new reg if need be.

Acott

I did some digging and figured out the problem!

Initially I have the regulator in the fridge along with everything else, I've since moved it to the outside of the fridge and haven't had any problems since!