• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:11:29 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[REVIEW] HBW Viking Pilsner Malt and Mangrove Jacks California Lager M54

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), February 16, 2016, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

Thanks again to Homebrewwest for offering both the grain and yeast up for review.

I brewed a recipe loosely based on Munich Helles recipe on my Grainfather last Friday Evening (12th Feb 2016).
See attached recipe.

Grainbill was 5.35kg, I mashed with 17.95ltr and sparged with 12.34ltr (as per grainfather website water volume calculations).
Preboil 25ltrs @ 1046
90 min boil
22ltrs into fermentor @ 1064.

Yeast pitched on friday night at 8.30pm @18.5 degrees.
Airlock was bubbling by 1pm on Saturday afternoon.
Its still bubbling this evening, albeit it is starting to slow down.

I decided to Rehydrate the yeast, as per Mangrove Jacks handy .pdf instructions for all their yeasts:
"Although Mangrove Jack's Craft Series yeasts do not require rehydration, cleaner and more professional results will be produced if rehydrated before use.
For all strains except lager yeasts, add the sachet contents to 3.4 US fl oz (100ml) of water previously adjusted to a temperature between
86–95°F (30–35°C). For lager yeasts, rehydrate using 3.4 US fl oz (100 ml) of 68–77°F (20–25°C) water. Stir gently into a yeast cream for
between 8-12 minutes then add yeast cream directly to wort. Alternatively the dry yeast can be added directly to the wort by sprinkling onto the surface and
leaving to stand for 10-15 minutes before stirring.
"

I was pleased with both products on brewday, happy with the OG of grain and with how quickly the yeast took off too.
Now to wait and see how the yeast finishes out and the overall beer turns out.

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

fishjam45 (Colin)

Garden County Brewers

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

fishjam45 (Colin)

*** Update ***

Crash Chilled it last night - Thursday 25th Feb
Kegged it tonight - Friday 26th Feb.

OG 1064 Friday 12th Feb
FG 1016 Friday 26th Feb

I poured a sample of this while I was transferring to keg.  First impression I got was a very slight banana taste.  I left it to warm slightly as I cleaned FV etc, after a half hour or so the banana taste was gone. Malt dominates the flavour with a little sweetness also - pretty much bang on considering the recipe is based on a Munich Helles.

I will now leave the keg to carb and cold condition.  I will taste again when carbed and report back. 
This will also be brought to the next GCB meet for tasting (Thur 10th March) and I will report back with their feedback then too, which I'm sure they will be more than willing to give considering all the medal winners that will be there  ;D ;D ;D ;D

So far I'm happy enough with both the grain and the yeast.  Judging from OG to FG theres nothing wrong this grain hitting its numbers.

Garden County Brewers

Keg

How did this turn out?  I'm interested in making a Munich Helles or an Oktoberfest with this yeast. Would you recommend it?

fishjam45 (Colin)

I'm happy with how it turned out.

I brought it to our last club meet and I think one or two were surprised at how young it was and that it was fermented at ale temperatures.  Although I feel it is ready now and has been for a while, I was advised to try Lager it for a while in the fridge, so that's where it is.

I'll bring it to our next meet again to see what the consensus is.

With respect to the grain it has punched above its weight with regard to gravity points, I wasn't the only club member to find this using this grain.
With respect to the yeast I will be using it again and would recommend it.
Garden County Brewers

Keg

Quote from: fishjam45 on April 04, 2016, 08:52:31 PM
I'm happy with how it turned out.

I brought it to our last club meet and I think one or two were surprised at how young it was and that it was fermented at ale temperatures.  Although I feel it is ready now and has been for a while, I was advised to try Lager it for a while in the fridge, so that's where it is.

I'll bring it to our next meet again to see what the consensus is.

With respect to the grain it has punched above its weight with regard to gravity points, I wasn't the only club member to find this using this grain.
With respect to the yeast I will be using it again and would recommend it.
Great thanks, looking forward to giving this a go!