• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:28 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Co2 Food Grade Vs Industrial

Started by Acott, April 13, 2021, 10:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

April 13, 2021, 10:20:14 PM Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:36:22 PM by Acott
Hi folks, just wondering,

Is there a massive difference between food grade and industrial Co2? I know industrial is 99.9% clean and it's that 0.1% separating it from food graded, but is there a taste difference or could it be harmful?

Say for instance AJ Edge in Bray, would their stuff be food grade or industrial?

Any help is much appreciated

phildo79

Why take the chance? Always ask for food grade from your co2 supplier, just in case they give you industrial. Perhaps it makes no difference. Is there a big difference in price between the two types?

Acott

My local supplier is out of food grade and won't have it back in stock for 2 weeks. I have a beer in the fermenter that is ready to be kegged but has to be pressure transferred

phildo79

You can gravity transfer but that would only be of use if the receiving keg and beer line was already purged. Do you have a sodastream canister?

LordEoin

industrial would be biologically clean due to the temperature of liquid co2 but there are old wives tales of oil, moisture, rust, other gasses, etc leaching in from the less sterile industrial storage tanks and transport.

Acott

Thought about a SodaStream bottle as a stop-gap but need a connector for the regulator that's the same price as 6kg of Co2  ;D

May just have to keep the pale ale in the fermenter, it'll be well settled by the time it's kegged

phildo79

Yeah, think I paid £12 for my adaptor when I bought my original setup. Had it for a long time before I actually used it. No doubt you could source one a lot cheaper from the likes of Ali Express but it'll take a fortnight to arrive.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/universal-co2-sodastream/

LordEoin

i bought one from aliexpress for about a tenner and the threads didnt fit, so i ended up spending about 50 on one from ireland and i dont regret it.
It's engineered beautifully and paid for itself after 3 refills.

DEMPSEY

To misquote confusious "If you sit by your post box long enough the parcels that you wait for will come by". Aliexpress is where I got my needs for the sodastream bottles that I have.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Acott

Cheers lads, I ordered one from Aliexpress  :) 

I figure I can use it as my pressure transfer to save me hauling the large canister out from behind the keezer every time.

Also got a refill connector for the large canister, so I can refill the SodaStream bottle when needed, save me having to swap it when it runs out

phildo79

Be careful with that. I asked my supplier about topping up sodastream canisters from a co2 tank and he said it could be very dangerous. Like the canister could explode. There were various connections he said were needed to make it safer.

LordEoin

Them sound like the words of a CO2 salesman to me! ^-^

DEMPSEY

DEMPSEY

I got all I needed to make this happen and ya know what, it did.  :-*

LordEoin

April 22, 2021, 06:43:45 PM #14 Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:03:12 PM by LordEoin
This kept popping into my head so I did a bit of googling.
The safety  data sheet says the vapor pressure is 57.3bar at 20°C
My 6kg is currently sitting with 45bar at around 15°C
The sodastream tank itself has 250BAR stamped into it, so there's plenty of buffer for stupidity so long as you get good fittings.
I once asked our local co2 guy if he fills them and he said "It's not worth my while turning on the machine for such a small tank".