• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:45:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Update on the barrel

Started by admin, July 22, 2013, 08:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Forgot to mention this.

Took out 400ml or so from the barrel for the June II meet, but as we ended up having a homebrew competition it was forgotten about.

I opened it about 3 weeks after bottling to find that it had hugely carbonated, maybe to about 3 volumes. Not sure how this happened, but evidentially we're still fermenting! In fact I consider myself lucky that it didn't turn into a bottle bomb. But anyway.

Hugely oaky whiskey flavour, with some fág ash in the background. The fág ash is the Bairds crystal malt that I'm convinced they over cooked, as aside from that one batch I've not come across that before or since. Thankfully with time the fág ash flavour does disappear.

It's gonna be a good one!

imark

Careful! The bung on the barrel could take yer eye out!  :o

If it's till fermenting to that level I wonder will it finish too thin? I know mine was under attenuated because I made a bit extra and put it on a fresh yeast cake and it dropped 8pts. Don't suppose you got a gravity reading?

irish_goat

How long had most of you'se been fermenting at home? Did you'se use a secondary?

I had mines in the primary and then secondary bucket for a good 5-6 weeks in total so I'd like to assume it was done fermenting.  :-\

DEMPSEY

How warm has it being in your outdoor brewhouse.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

Mine was well secondaryed 3 weeks or thereabouts not a sign of fermentation when I sent to keg and attenuated to 1018 which seems normal for that brew.

imark

Should we start thinking about bottling this soon? Was plan to have this ready for the Christmas holidays?

Will_D

As I posted on another forum:

If you are going to empty the cask then what?

As usual the NCB branch are already GB'ing the ingredients for the next brew to fill the newly vacated cask on the same day!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing