• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:41:32 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Are you a Liffey Brewer?

Started by admin, September 23, 2013, 10:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Following on from offline conversations, we're gonna put in for a Liffey Brewer-only child forum of this forum. If you want in, add your name below.

1. Tube

Ciderhead

This came up before with Capital Boys and girls and I thought that sort of restrictive practice was not to be encouraged and that we were an all inclusive club? Sorry but as you can tell I clearly don't agree with that, how are folks supposed to learn from your glories or mistakes encourage new Liffey members, involve the rest of us by learning or supporting you, if you want to do uber secret squirrel sort of stuff communicate by email surely?, I really can't see a reason why you would want to do stuff behind closed doors instead of putting a sign above the door no ...... allowed. 
Where does that stop, where each of the 14 of us have our own hidden discussions and there are 2 posts a day on the main site :(
Who else in LB is calling for that sort of silliness?

Shane Phelan

Yeah we had one for a while in capital brewers but it was still visible to full members. We got rid of it as we weren't using it enough to justify its existence.

I still think it can be useful to have a private forum when trying to organise something.
Brew Log

delzep

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

I'm not in favour of it either. If something needs to be discussed behind closed doors then the PM system is good enough. All it needs is one PM to everyone in the group. Just keep the PM handy and any time a discussion is needed you just reply-all to that PM to save you remembering everyone's username. Only thing that will feck that up is next time Tube decides to change his name  ;)

Unless it's for small club specific group buys? Then it might be useful.... What do others think?
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Ciderhead

Na sorry still not getting it :-[, so now we are restricting what members can participate in groupbuys?, surely that runs in the other direction of one the things we do really well in the NHC and defeats the whole concept of the Group buy?

We have just asked people for a tenner and now we are saying well yeah but its only for that GB and not this one?

Applying that logic in future means I could go off and get barrels or juice or hops or whatever just for my members in Wicklow pretending its on behalf of the NHC and screw everyone else and only benefit local members,  where's the member community spirit in that, if that's your end game :( you can do all that sort of stuff on email or pm's.

Come on somebody else apart from Tube from LB's chip into this discussion and explain to an egit from Wicklow why you want your own sub-forum and this is a good idea :-\

DEMPSEY

I do not like the idea of restriction either.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

September 23, 2013, 08:34:53 PM #7 Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:47:27 PM by brenmurph
me too ....thanks dempsey  not sure what the point is...it may only cause friction  and suspicion..
Personally ( as Ive always said) Id like less forum and more practical and it would be lovely duvely to see more missusus, young up and teeneys and so on enjoying the hobby, social and education that comes from this fantastic hobby.
I find foruming a PITA and wish they didnt really exist because  I'd far rather go and do real meets up the road, down the road, across the road, up the pub and of course ( as I / we always do) get to as many meets as we can latest was 2 days at ciderfest and what a weekend ye missed, paradise of a place, gorgeous beer and cider, brill entertainment, interestin people and a haven for kids if anyone  was interested in making a family affair of it. Fair play to con trass, his family and  whoever organised that weekend.  There was a blues / rock band who were superb and a summer garden atmosphere second to none, lovely friendly relaxed feel to it

Shanna

Quote from: brenmurph on September 23, 2013, 08:34:53 PM
me too ....thanks dempsey  not sure what the point is...it may only cause friction  and suspicion..
Personallt ( as Ive always said) Id like less forum and more practical and it would be lovely duvely to see more missusus, young up and teenes and so on enjoying the hobby, social and education that comes from this fantastic hobby.
I find foruming a PITA and wiss they didnt really exist I'd far rather go and do real meets up the road, doen the road, across the roan, up the pub and of course ( as I we alway do get to as many meets as we can latest was 2 days at ciderfest and what a weekend ye missed, gfab place, fab beer and cider, fab entertainment, fab people and a paradise for kids if anyone  was interested in making a family affair of it. Fair play to con trass, his family and  whoever organised that weekend.

Rock of sense as always Brendan.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ciderhead

Somebody calls the Gardai,
What have you done with Shanna?, he posts above the quote...always ???

Partridge9

Brendan - way too much use of the word fab !
Sounded like an 'ACE' weekend !

Transparency (IMO) is the way to go - but that said - its a liffey decision.

I sometimes get a little frustrated with the forums - that's why its great to get events going. Cant wait for the GBS.

brenmurph

there ya go partrige  modification:.. u wer sounding like my professor from uni... Ive updated using proper grammer :)

reworded

Personally ( as Ive always said) Id like less forum and more practical and it would be lovely duvely to see more missusus, young up and teeneys and so on enjoying the hobby, social and education that comes from this fantastic hobby.
I find foruming a PITA and wish they didnt really exist because  I'd far rather go and do real meets up the road, down the road, across the road, up the pub and of course ( as I / we always do) get to as many meets as we can latest was 2 days at ciderfest and what a weekend ye missed, paradise of a place, gorgeous beer and cider, brill entertainment, interestin people and a haven for kids if anyone  was interested in making a family affair of it. Fair play to con trass, his family and  whoever organised that weekend.  There was a blues / rock band who were superb and a summer garden atmosphere second to none, lovely friendly relaxed feel to it

Ciderhead

Quote from: Partridge9 on September 23, 2013, 08:43:22 PM

Transparency (IMO) is the way to go - but that said - its a liffey decision.

It is a Liffey decision and I respect that, but it impacts on all of us :(

So if Liffey have their own secret club on the NHC, Wicklow next please, we'd also like IT admin rights so that we can moderate, allow members in or cut them out also behind closed door as well thanks, after all that's obviously only a Wicklow decision?

Ciderhead

Quote from: brenmurph on September 23, 2013, 08:48:14 PM
there ya go partrige  modification:.. u wer sounding like my professor from uni... Ive updated using proper grammer :)

reworded

Don't mind them Bren we all knew what you meant :D

delzep

Why not just having two threads per monthly meeting, one for discussing the beers being brought, and one to suggest any topics that could be discussed on the night of the tasting?